Chapter 20

*HARRY*

I sit on my bed with my head in my hands.

I know she's right. I'm not protecting her by leaving her here alone all the time. I need to talk to her and get things settled.

I walk down only to find the T.V. on and the living room empty. I go to the guest room across the hall and try to open the door. It doesn't budge. She's in there and locked the door so I couldn't get in.

I go to my room and find one of Kat's bobby pins. I go over and pick the lock. I get in and find her sleeping on the bed. I bend down and tuck a stead of her hair behind her ear.

"I'm sorry, Kat." I whisper as if she could hear me.

I kiss her forehead and go back to my room. I should really try to get some sleep tonight, but I have a hard time sleeping when I know what Rick and Eric want to do. And I have a harder time sleeping when Kat isn't here with me.

God, I really fucked up tonight. I shouldn't have went. I should have stayed here so we could work things out.

I lay on my bed and close my eyes and try to imagine Kat here with me.

***

Ear piercing screams. They're rolling through my ears. I run to them but I can't see anything. In the black appears Eric smiling wickedly. He pulls Kat by her arm and throws her to the floor. I try yelling to her, but she can't hear me.

Eric's face morphs into another wicked face I've seen. Her fathers. He looks at me and throws a knife aimed at my chest.

I run to Kat, but she gets farther away the closer I get. Her fathers face changes into yet another one but this time, it's no stranger. It's me. I'm the one kicking her and hurting her.Yet another round of screams come again.

I finally wake up from my dream, but the screaming continues. I run to the guest room and find Kat thrashing around.

"Kat! Kat, wake up!" I shake her.

Her eyes snap open and she sits up abruptly, gasping for air and looking around, terrified that something could happen.

"Kat, look at me. You're okay, don't worry about anything, you're okay," I say putting my hands on her cheeks.

She puts her hands on top of mine and calms her breathing.

"I'm sorry- I didn't mean to- i-it was-" she couldn't say a full sentence.

"It's okay. I get them too," I say.

We really are alike. We both grew up too fast, we both have asses for dads, we both get nightmares.

We wrap our arms around each other. It was as if earlier nothing had happened between us.

"What happened?" I ask.

"M-my dad escaped f-from jail and found you and h-he shot you," she summed it up in those few words.

"W-what about y-yours?"

"You were getting beaten by your dad and there wasn't anything I could do about it," I say closing my eyes trying not to have the images appear again. She hugs me trying to make it go away.

"Harry, I really am sorry about earlier," she tightens her grip.

"It's fine, you were right. I wasn't keeping you safe by leaving you alone," I say.

"I promise I'll do better," I say.

"Thank you." she whispers.

"C'mon lets get some rest," I pick her up and walk across the hall.

I lay her down and pull the blankets per her small body. I lay down next to her and pull her close to me. I kiss her nose and she laughs. She kisses me and turns over and goes to sleep. I close my eyes hoping I won't be woken up by our nightmares again.