"Thanks." I went back into the bathroom and changed into my uniform. I decided to leave my hair down, but I didn't have the contact solution for my contacts, so technically I was forced to wear my glasses. And i didnt have any make up with me. I guess I'll have to be half Bambi and half Gertrude today. I went back in the kitchen and sat down at the table in the fair across from Brett. A plate of food was already there, so I began to eat. "Mmm..this is delicious. I haven't eaten anything like this in...well...I've never eaten anything like this."

Brett looked at me with sad eyes. He reached across the table and placed his hand on top of mine.

"Gertrude, you don't have to go back to them if you'd just let me help you."

I shook my head. "I don't want any help. Besides, even if I d get placed in a foster family, I'll just be thrown out of there when I turn 18."

"So? By then you'll be going off to college."

"But what if the family isn't nice? What if they're worse than my parents? I've heard stories about foster families. The foster parents usually just want the paycheck for taking in kids."

"That's true. But some of them at nice."

"But what if they aren't? Brett, I can't take that chance. For all I know, my home could be considered paradise compared to other homes."

"How long will it be before you turn 18, Gertrude?"

"What?" I asked, my voice cracking, as I remembered something.

"When do you turn 18?"

"I....I don't know."

"What do you mean you don't know?"

"Brett? Can you do me a favor and look at the school records to find out when my birthday is?" I asked, a little bit embarrassed.

"Why? Why can't you just tell me when your birthday is?"

"Because... I don't even know when my own birthday is." I admitted.

"Your parents never told you?"

I shook my head. He squeezed my hand, reassuringly.

"I'll find out for you, Gertrude."

"Thank you." I said in almost a whisper. "Umm...after school, I have to go back to my house."

"No you don't. I'm not letting your parents take advantage of you anymore."

"Brett, I have to. My work uniform is there."

"Then quit. You work too hard, Gertrude."

"I can't just quit, Brett. My parents still depend on me for money and they'll have a fit if I don't show up for work again."

"They won't just have a fit, Gertrude. You and I both know that. They'll hurt you."

"Its my fault if they do. I did something they didn't like. They have a right to do whatever they want to me."

He shook his head, with tears in his eyes...almost like he was feeling my pain. "Parents should never lay a hand on their child. And they should never abuse their child. Just look at the scar all the way across your stomach. Do you want that to happen again?"

I started to cry. "Brett..." I started but he interrupted me.

"Answer me." he commanded.

I shook my head. "No." I cried. "I dont."

"Then don't go back to them."

"I have no where to go." I protested.

He stared at me for a minute, looking deep in thought. "Stay with me." he finally said.

"What?"

"I want you to stay with me, Gertrude."

"Please, stop calling me Gertrude." I begged.

"Why? Because you're parents call you Gertrude? Because they tell you that an ugly name suits you so well? I think Gertrude is a beautiful name. Your parents were right. I does suit you. But you know what I say? I beautiful name suits a beautiful girl. And Gertrude? You. Are. Beautiful."

"But you're my teacher. I can't live with you."

"You can if you really want to. And I know you really want to, just like how you really want us to be together....just like how much I want to be with you."

"Yesterday...you said..."

"I know what I said. But it's not how I feel. Gertrude, once you turn 18, I want us to be together. I want you to be my girlfriend. I want us to continue our relationship we had before I was your teacher, but without Skype and with you as Gertrude....not Bambi. I love you. I love you so so much. You have no idea how hard it is for me not to kiss you right now. You're crying and I just want to hold you and make you feel better. But i can't until youre 18. Gertrude, please, don't go back to your parents. I don't think I can bare to see you in pain. I don't want anything to happen to you. Please. Stay with me." he begged.

I was crying even more. I was confused. I was sad, it I was happy too. Then, I made a decision.

"I want to stay with you, Brett."

"Then it's settled. You're staying here with me."

"But what about my things? All my stuff is at my house. My laptop, my clothes,my books..." I trailed off.

Brett sighed. "We'll figure that out later. For now, let's just eat breakfast and go to school. Ok?"

I nodded my head and Brett let go of my hand. I took a sip of coffee and continued to eat. Soon we headed off to school and were sitting, staring at eachother in his classroom while we waited for everyone else. There was a knock at the door, interrupting our staring contest. Both our heads turned towards the sound. There stood...my mother.

"Gertrude Bambi Goldsmith, you are in so much trouble!"

"Mother, what are you doing here?"

"We're going home. Me and your father have determined your punishment and well...we can't wait to tell you what it is.". She said with a devious smile.

I gulped.

"Well come on! I'm not gonna wait all day! Move!" she commanded.

I abruptly stood up, obeying my mother. "Gertrude, sit down." Brett commanded. I froze. "Mrs. Goldsmith, school's about to start. I'm sure this can wait until after school....well after she serves her detention with me."

"DETENTION!?!? Oh, now you're in deep trouble missy! Now lets go!"

"Ma'am, with all due respect, I think Gertrude should stay in school today."

"Dont tell me what to do. I'm her mother and I can take her home whenever I want."

She was right. Brett backed down because he knew he couldn't win this fight. The school would probably force me to go with my mother anyway. I looked at Brett. He was scared for me. I gave him a small smile and went with my mother. She didn't say anything while we walked to the car, but she when we did get into the car, she went crazy.

"YOU'RE IN FOR IT THIS TIME!!! YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT WE HAVE PLANNED FOR YOU!!". She drove home, driving like a complete maniac. Oh god. Please not again!