Madeline: "Letter To Remember"

I grip my brother's hand despite myself. He grips back. His caring surprises me, but I know it shouldn't. He was a good brother once. His fingers wrap around mine and we walk together, hand in hand. Erica holds my other hand. I don't know if she really cares about all this, since she's here for me.

Our footsteps echo through the long and strange corridors of the department of mysteries. Lucius and Narcissa haven't broken apart since he returned from prison. It was the first we'd seen him in days. Even I was glad he came, it proved that he was alive. Some of the death eaters hadn't fared well against the Order of the Phoenix. He wears his best, a change since Azkaban and I know he's doing it just because he can. Lucius might go back to jail again today but this time he won't come out. Maybe.

I hear my mother whispering, holding him close so no one else can hear. The three of us kids stay facing away, knowing that they're both crying and kissing in between sentences. None of us want to watch them right now.

I've been to the ministry with my father several times, (mainly before he was fired from the education department), but I've only been up here once. These halls aren't as familiar as most of the ministry is, with black tiled walls and elaborately carved ceilings it feels formidable compared to the friendly and welcoming environment of the lobby. Me, Draco, Erica and Narcissa wear round badges that flick between saying our names and 'visitor', while Lucius wears one that flicks to 'purpose: court trial' after it displays his name.

I hear voices up ahead and can't help but flinch, as if they're already screaming 'guilty!' at the top of their lungs for the whole court room to hear. I feel Draco's hand squeeze mine more tightly in reassurance. I don't know why I even care, if Lucius is in jail he can't hurt me right? But even I can't think that way. He's still my father.

We round the corner and come face to face with the minister. Fudge isn't going to be minister much longer though as he's going to resign. Fudge is definitely aging more with the current crisis. Worry-lines crease his suddenly sharp face and he appears more careworn compared to the minister I remember from the papers. "Lucius." He nods curtly, his tone hard and all business. I notice my Lucius's hand pushing Narcissa away. He rarely shows affection and won't give the minister the satisfaction of seeing what prison will steal from him.

"Cornelius."

"Terrible business, Lucius." I feel his judgement as his eyes fix on me, Erica and Draco. He frowns. "Is this really the place for children?"

"I do as I please minister," Is the response. My father's tone is cold and calm. Firm. He's expressionless as usual, as if he's punishing me or my brother.

Fudge leans in, trying not to let our 'childish' ears hear his next words. I hear anyway. "Lucius." He pauses. "I fear- know- it won't go well in there. The evidence is fairly hard, the children if they hear they may remember it forever. The words may be harsh, it would-"

"Anything I can hear can be heard by my children or children under my care," Lucius replies simply, with a glance at Erica.

"Lucius, you have done much for the ministry over these years. If you were to plead guilty then they might shorten your sentence-"

"I accept no help from those betraying me. I may lose everything in there but I won't lose my dignity." Lucius says firmly. "Step aside please minister."

Fudge scowls and moves, clearly not used to being addressed in this way.

I feel my brother's hand squeeze mine. I rub his thumb with mine in attempt to reassure him. He rubs back. "It's going to be okay." he mutters, even though he knows that he's telling me the opposite of the truth. I don't respond.