Trials

Gerald POV

I woke up alone, she wasn't Danny anymore. Maybe I wasn't Gerald. I grabbed her phone off the nightstand and sighed, I didn't know what I would discover. Yet the screen popped open to the voicemails, I clicked through, hearing the voice of Devon play.

"Hey Danny... Gerald is... He's with this girl and... Honey I'm sorry but he's fucking her brains out in a bathroom stall and I can't believe he's doing that to you while you're pregnant. If you need someone I'm here Daniella." I clicked the phone closed and rubbed my face. She knew and it was obvious she had known for months. Slowly I got dressed, taking in all the sexual marks I had received.

"Gerald... You're mom is here..." Her voice came to me like a whisper. I turned around, buttoning my shirt and taking in the girl I loved. My fiancee I was dragging through the mud. Her face sunk in and grey.

"Thanks... How you feeling?"

"Great... Thanks." She rushed away, bundled in a hoodie. Fragile like glass. I grabbed my leather jacket and walked past her, out the front door where my mom was waiting. She looked pissed, gripping her phone as she motioned for me to walk along with her.

"What the fuck are these Gerald?" She handed me her phone, photos opened. Tons of photos as me at clubs, with girls, drinking, you name it there was a photo. Dare I say some had me in bed with girls. "Gerald Earl Gillum you're turning into your father! Do you fucking see Danny?"

" Yeah..." My voice croaked before my mother smacked me. Only the second time in my life had she ever hit me. The first being when I originally hurt Daniella... Well D... I rubbed my face and looked at her for a moment before taking a deep breath. "Ma... That ain't D any more. She's fucking sick and... I dunno. D smiled at my stupid jokes. She danced when she was sad. Sung in the shower. This girl she's..."

"She's still D... You fucking treat her like she's just a baby mama Gerald. You know I'm the only one that will be real with you when you make stupid mistakes. Did you ever consider maybe she's upset too? You're fucking other women while she's carrying your baby! Gerald if you're gonna do this to the girl then just leave. I never thought you would put her in that much pain and I'm ashamed of you." I sighed and sat down on the bench out front and nodded slowly.

"I don't know what the fuck I'm doing any more."

"Neither do I... I know what you should be doing though." She took her phone back and lit a joint. "Call around... Tell some doctors what is happening and hopefully they'll be able to help her Gerald. Otherwise we as a family might lose this baby. You might lose your son." My phone buzzed, signaling me to stand.

"I know ma... I gotta take this..." I kissed her cheek before walking inside. There she laid. The beauty of pregnancy molded into a grey figure. Eyes half closed while looking at a magazine. I glanced at my phone, another text about a party. Fuck it one more party wouldn't hurt. If I hadn't pushed Danny over the brink yet then surely she would survive another day.

" Hey Gerald can you get me a water?"

"Sure Daniella." I wandered to the kitchen, grabbing a bottle and sitting beside her as I handed the drink to her. She forced a smile, it obvious, but it was still a smile. Her body told me otherwise. Exhaustion was written over every inch of her. " How are you feeling?"

"You don't need to act like you care Gerald... It's okay. I'm fine." It left her like a whisper before I sighed and stood, she moved away as I tried to kiss to cheek. I couldn't blame her, after all she knew how unfaithful I was lately. A manwhore trying to be a husband didn't seem in my cards. A sigh escaped me, my fist hitting the wall as I walked down the hall to my studio. It didn't help she continued to push me away. Never having sex or even a kiss. She blamed me for wandered out every night on her. Later on after I talked to the doctors we fought. She threw a plate of food at me, that's when it really hit home. I nearly broke her wrist before she went running up stairs. A sigh escaped me as I tossed the half of her meal in the trash. Yet there was already food in there. Reality hit like a brick wall. The first thing I remembered from it all is the look on her face when I called her D.

"You haven't called me D in months..."

"Your food was in the trash... D have you been doing this to yourself." She broke in front of me standing and backing away from me as more tears fell.

"Don't... Don't hurt me... I'm sorry! I'm so... Sorry." Like a doll she went limp to the floor. I sunk beside her and pulled her to his chest, lips resting against her temple. "It's okay... It's okay... Once I have the baby you won't have to have me around anymore...."

"Danny... Fucking hell...." My arms grew tighter around her fragile frame. "I'm so sorry... I just... I'm sorry I haven't been there.... I didn't know what to do... I couldn't watch you die Danny... What caused this?" She shrugged and sobbed, my stomach churned as I pulled her into my arms. My girl was falling to pieces and trying to stay strong around me. Then limp, the sobs stopping. Another fainting spell sent me rushing for the phone, she didn't even wake up till she was at the hospital. It was obvious there was an issue far bigger than what I had been doing. Though my loyalty didn't help the situation.