Little Pieces

Gerald POV

The lawyer mom hired in my defense was sitting beside me. I couldn't remember his name well and had to keep glancing at the paper.

"Lawrence?"

"Yes Mr. Gillum?" I moved slightly on the wooden seat, we were sitting in the court room awaiting our judge. No audience was allowed in yet, including the people I was dying to see. 

"What... What are my chances?"

"Of getting bail or being found not guilty?"

"Both?"

"You're not getting bail. I know how much of a flight risk they'll make you out to be, but I can assure you that you won't be found guilty. You weren't there. I've already pulled the tapes. You were in London." I looked at the grey haired man who peaked over his spectacles at me before returning to his paper work. My mind wandered off till the doors behind us opened. The first person I saw was one of the last people I wanted to see. Her brown eyes locked on mine as she walked to the front row with my mom, James, and Marty. In a swift movement she handed my lawyer a paper before he handed it to me. 

Ger x

I can't bring myself to see you in a bright orange jumpsuit. Maybe it's my taste in fashion or maybe it is the sensation it would bring me in my heart. I'm sure your mom told you, but we're having a baby boy. I can't wait for you to come to some pregnancy classes with me, you'll have a ball I'm sure. The doctors tell me I can't stress, it is really bad for me since my past issues and all. Everything will be okay babe I love you.

Soon to be Mrs. Gillum x

I managed a laugh before folding the paper and tucking it into my pocket, gripping it as I watched the judge come in and we all had to rise. The cuffs were digging into my wrists, the sensation made it all difficult to focus.

"Case number 5624."

"After reviewing the information at hand, bail has been revoked due to the escalated flight risk. As for the trail date... The soonest we can schedule is one month from today." I felt like I had to vomit. Just like that it was all over again. I looked to my mother before the guards grabbed me and tugged me towards the jail house once again. This time I wasn't getting special treatment. People howled seeing me walk into the general population. My things in the bag carried by the guard.

"Eazy!"

"Sure looks like a bitch to me!"

"Ain't getting no pussy in this shit hole!"

Is this how Danny felt watching me get taken away in cuffs? Numb. I was shoved into my cell, a strongly built African American man sat on one of the beds, taking off his headphones.

"Sup... my names Derek."

"Uh... Gerald."

"Is that what your real name is?" He laughed slightly before offering his hand which I shook before sitting down. "So curiosity kills the black man, but what got your skinny white ass in here?"

"My jackass of a father framed me with enough kilos of cocaine to make me Pablo Escabar." He chuckled before I laid down and closed my eyes, taking  deep breath. "What's got you in here?"

"I murdered the man who killed my wife. He got off with some easy ass sentence, so I waited five years to finally kill that mother fucker."

"I would have done the same."

"You married?"

"Nah I got a fiancee at home... she's pregnant and I'm freaking the fuck out."

"Damn bro that is heavy shit." He sighed and sat up slightly. "Listen, just keep your head low around here, no one will fuck with you. You're a celebrity if anything they'll spread their cheeks for you..."

"I'd rather have blue balls." I chuckled and glanced over, he was picking through a package of cigarettes before offering me one to which I quickly accepted and lit with the matches on the table beside my bed. 

"You are telling me brother..."

"Say if you could go back... would you have still done it?"

"Yeah... I mean once I lost her my world just collapsed. I was working to pay for a house that I lived in alone. Doing a job I hated as a mechanic. All I saw was the world closing in around me and fuck it if prison ain't a little bit better. I live for free... granted I don't get to drive around or go visit her grave, but I can't really say this isn't better than what I was doing out there. I fucked with so many drugs and I was a bad man out there. A burden to society... In here I get to work sometimes, read, write, and learn new stuff. Maybe I'll get early release one day. There is always potential when you're at the bottom." I nodded as he turned out the light, turning towards his wall while I laid in the dark on my bed.

"Ain't that the truth. Night."

"Night." This prison never slept though. Voices could always be heard in constant whispers. Yet there was one voice that kept playing through my mind. Her green eyes shining and pink lips. I wonder if she was awake, wondering the same things about me. If I was gonna be free. If I would make it home for Christmas, surely thanksgiving would be missed, it's in two days. Would she smile at all this month? Something must have clicked for her to send Devon and not appear today or visit. In fact she didn't visit the whole month. I didn't see Danny till my trail and she looked nothing like when I left her standing in that hotel room screaming. No this month had kicked her ass more than it had kicked mine. She was the one trying to carry a baby on top of all of the stress. So what would be my verdict? Would I just be another Gillum jailbird?