Baby It's Cold Outside

Her water had been shut off. It was the third time this week this had happened. She hated having to go into work early just to use the showers. It was just embarrassing, but since it was early enough in the mornings no one was usually there. She hated her job as well, in fact, but it was the only thing getting her through the holidays. She had little money in the bank, and every penny she spent this time of year had been on getting presents for her family, although most of them were home made. Due to her discount at the toy store she worked at, she had been able to buy a few presents from there. She considered just giving out cards Christmas but everyone would think she was too cheap. No one knew about her money struggles and she planned to keep it that way.

Regina swiped her key card and unlocked the door to the locker room. She hummed a little tune as she undressed and wrapped a towel around herself before turning on the water in the closest shower. She waited for it to heat up, folding her clothes and putting them in a locker as she did so. Stream emitted from the shower and she dropped her towel before going in. As soon as the hot water hit her body she sighed, it had been too long since she'd had a hot shower. Whenever her showers did work they were always freezing and she had to work as quick as possible.

It all started when she started shampooing her hair. She had found the lyrics to the song she'd been humming and began to sing. She never really liked Christmas music, but that song had been stuck in her head all week. It was because of him. Robin. He was one of her co-workers, one that constantly got on her nerves and made her job worse that it had to be. Although, sometimes she liked the playful banter. One too many times it had turned into flirting and ended with them locking the door of the back room and kissing until their lungs needed air. She didn't really know what it all meant though. It was new and confusing. One day they would be all lovey dovey towards each other and then the next they'd be at each other's throats. She couldn't deny the chemistry between them, or the fact that she actually liked him. She just didn't know if he wanted a relationship because he's never actually asked her out. Though if he ever asked her, she didn't know what she'd say. She liked him, yes, but did she really have time for a relationship right now? The secret kisses would just have to do.

                                   ~•~

Robin had spent all night at the store, decorating. He really took pride in his job, even if he only worked at a toy store. Santa was coming today. Well not actually Santa, but the kids didn't know about that yet. As he finished up the decorating, his mind kept wandering to a certain brunette who had been tugging on his heart strings since the moment she fell into his arms, literally. It was on the first day Robin had started working there. He had been stocking the shelves, bored out of his mind. His eyes took a moment to roam the store, looking for anything else to do or anyone to help, when she caught his eye. She was high up on a ladder, hanging Christmas ornaments. He watched as she would step down the ladder, grab a few ornaments, go back up the ladder and hang them. She did that a few more times until the tree was fully decorated, only leaving the star to put on.

As she climbed to the top of the ladder with the star in her hand, he noticed her struggling to reach the tip of the tree. The ladder didn't go high enough and he could see her leaning over it, she was going to fall if she wasn't careful. Slowly, he got up and began walking towards her. He watched as she reached again and that's when it happened. She leaned too far over, her grip on the top of the ladder slipping. That's when Robin picked up the pace, now running over to catch her. She landed gracefully in his arms, quite shocked when she didn't hit the ground. Their eyes met and she smiled, so did he. "Thank you." She said, before he placed her on her feet. From that day forward, he couldn't get her out of his head.

The store was quiet but suddenly he heard a muffed noise, a voice maybe. Robin began following the sound, noticing it really was a voice. A beautiful, melodic singing voice. Robin finally found out it was coming from the locker room, the women's locker room. He didn't know why, but he wanted to find out who it was. He used his key card and entered the locker room. It was steamy and hot. The mirrors were fogged and he was careful not to disturb whoever was in the shower. The voice was familiar, too familiar. That's when all the pieces fell into place, it was her. Regina was the woman singing in the shower.