Return (Part One)

THE INKY SURROUNDING BLACKNESS STARTED TO FADE. It morphed into blinding colors, and when settled, resembled the room I had previously occupied.

The scene in front of me only made sense when what happened hit me. Shot. In the chest. I watched myself lie on the floor, Yumi crying, yet taking a defensive stance next to me. Minako stared down her older sister, but if I could say, id say it definitely wasn't her.

She was too malicious. The Minako I first knew may have been obnoxious, but not harmful.

Yumi stood upright, her gun pointed towards Minako. "Where is my sister?" She asked threateningly. Minako sneered.

"I am your sister." She laughed, and Yumi stepped closer, aiming the gun towards her head. Minako pulled out her own gun, I didn't remember she had.

"You're a liar," Yumi spat. Without a second thought, I heard the sound of a trigger being pulled. I looked away, back to my own body, cold on the floor.

Suddenly, the scene moved away, as if I was floating up to the low ceiling. I might have been, too, myself --not the body on the floor-- probably not an definite object.

No. I thought. I can't just leave. I need to live, to make sure Yumi and Minako are okay, to see Holly again. I stopped floating upwards, just for a second. Whew.

Minako slumped to the floor, and the stream of magic was expelled from her body, and it streamed into mine.

I felt a jerking sensation in my floating body, almost being shoved back down on to earth.

The golden cloud of magic seeped into my body, and the tugging sensation continued. I didn't fight it, and within a second I was back in the tangible body. I opened my eyes, squinting at the sudden brightness.

Yumi turned to me. "Y-you're alive?" She stuttered, as if she couldn't believe it.

I looked down at my hands, checking to make sure they were still there. "I think so..."

I stood up slowly, almost tripping in the process. I was pretty wobbly on my feet. However, I felt much better than before the magic returned.

The magic! Right! I flexed my fingers, as if feeling the long gone lifesaver right there. I stared at Yumi, eyes widened in awe.

She didn't understand why I was looking at her like that, obviously. "Can you tell me what the heck is going on?"

I stared at her, a small smile on my face. "Not at all. You won't believe me!" I ran over, hugged her, then ran back to the water's edge. I heard her following behind, screaming things behind me, but all I could think about was going home.

"What are you doing?" Yumi demanded, marching up to catch up to me.

I was elated. I felt as if I should jump into the ocean and leave this city forever. Sure, I might miss it a little, but honestly, who cares?

I had an underwater city to save, again. And I was excited. So, I couldn't waste any more time.

I turned to face Yumi again. "I'm leaving." My voice felt so final, her face looking shocked and sad.

"You're just upping and going?" She asked, her dark eyes getting misty.

"I have to. I'm sorry." I apologized sincerely, but I couldn't just stay.

"Fine. I'll get some money, it'll take you at least to the other side of the country." She frowned at me, and I couldn't help but feel guilty. "I never even got a chance to know who you are!"

I grimaced at her, a sad kind of expression. "I'm sorry. But, I have to leave, now."

She took a step forward. "So many things just don't add up. Why do you have to leave now? Can't you stay for a few more days?"

I shook my head. "This is something I have to do right now. I can't wait any longer."

"Why not? What is it that you're waiting for?"

I gave her a small, sad little smile. "If I could tell you, I would."

"You can," her dark eyes burned fiercely at me, and for a second, I believed her. I should tell her, really, I thought.

She would never believe me. She'd think I was crazy, a lunatic, and insist to never see me again. Which was what I needed.

Maybe Yumi could come with me! No. I shook that idea off as soon as I thought of it. I couldn't get her in danger at all. I would never forgive myself.

Again, Yumi reminded me of Holly. The same stubborn attitude, same will to help others. She was too much like Holly for her own good.

If I knew Holly, I knew she wouldn't just let me go. Yumi would beg to know, until would cave in and tell her. But she absolutely couldn't. She couldn't be sucked into this.

I turned back to the sea, calling me in with its water. I should just run. "I can't tell you."

She looked confused, betrayed even. "Yes you can."

I dipped my shoe in the water, but she spoke again. "What are you going to do, just swim away, as if nothing here ever mattered to you?"

I turned, once again towards her. It was impossible to mask the guilt on my face, so I didn't. "I have to swim to get where I'm going. But it did matter! I mean, it does! You gave me a job, and a house for a while, and it means a lot. But, I'm going somewhere that you can't go." My voice sounded regretful, but it wasn't enough. Yumi's face turned angry.

"I can do anything you can, you know." She stated and I nodded.

"I-I know that. It's just..." I trailed off.

"Just what?"

"I don't want you to get hurt." I said, and her expression softened a little.

Then, she frowned again. "Where are you living that is so dangerous that I can't go with you?"

"You wouldn't believe me!"

She rolled her eyes, an expression I'd never seen her do. Yumi stared at the cold water, lapping up on shore. "Back to square one," she mumbled. Her eyes took on a different shade of fierceness. "I can tell you things that are absolutely true, but you wouldn't believe me!" She nearly screamed, her voice carrying down the shore. "Try me."

I shook my head again. The things she knew were nothing compared to mine.

Yumi's expression shifted again, staring into my eyes. "I'll tell you my secret. Then, you tell me where you're going."

****

What is she hiding? I'd like to hear! Would you post your theory in the comments? :D

Sorry about the long break. I'll try to update more.

Rae <3