Defeat (part 2)

I AWOKE IN A PLACE FILLED WITH MIST. I tried to stand up, but I realized I was in my mermaid form. Yet, I was breathing air...

I looked around, but the misty air was endless. What had happened? Was I in a dream?

Then it all came back to me. Fighting, getting stabbed, Ryan. My eyes widened. I hoped he was safe.

"Hello?" I called out. Out of nowhere, a lady appeared in the mist, wearing a pretty red dress. She had red hair and dark green eyes and looked... well, she looked just like me.

"Mom?" I asked from my spot on the grounded. She nodded, tears coming out of her eyes. She leaned down and hugged me. I hugged her back. She smelled like violets and salty water.

"Wh-where are we?" I asked, my voice echoing in the nothingness.

"You're not dead, and not alive. This is where you can decide which way to choose." She sat down next to me as I pushed myself up and sat in sort of an upright position.

"B-but how am I not a 'zombie' mermaid?" I asked. She looked at me strangely, then laughed.

"They aren't zombies. They're just innocent merfolk that have possessed by black magic. There are two types of magic in the universe: good, pure magic and dark magic. As you heard earlier, only the magic-keeper can control magic, but sometimes two at a time can. The ability is passed to the most able, the kind with the purest heart and the most loyal and noble."

I nodded confusedly. "But... H-how am I alive? And how am I not possessed by dark magic?"

She smiled at me, a kind of sad smile. "Pure magic beats dark magic by far."

I swallowed and looked down. I was lucky. And then I realized something.

"Are you dead, mom?"

She hugged me sadly. "Yes. I died the last time this happened. But it's better this way."

I hugged her back. "Are you... like me?"

She nodded.

"And.. who's d-dad?"

Her eyes sparkled. "You'll meet him soon enough."

"Do I have to go back?" I sounded like I was whining. Oops, I didn't want to give the wrong impression.

"Your choice. But this-" she flicked her finger and a bubble appeared, showing Ryan in the hospital standing near me, crying. I was unconscious. "-is you right now. There are people that miss you, Holly. You should go back."

I looked into her eyes. "Now?"

She nodded.

"Do you have any advice for me?"

She gave a small quirky smile. "Stay close to Ryan. He's a special kid." She winked, and then I fell asleep.

"BEEP. BEEP. BEEP."

"Stop it," I mumbled clawing at a blanket.

"BLEEP. BLEEP. BLEEP."

I shot up. "Get the air horn out of my ear!" I screamed. Then my eyes widened when I realized where I was. White sheets, sterile room. I was in the hospital above water.

Ryan was right next to me. He hugged me, and I saw that his face was wet.

Then I realized something. Ryan had legs.

***

Okay! So much anticipated. Sorry, it's short. Fan and comment please!

Rae<3