chapter 7

Dinah Jane Hansen

through my teen years, i've been through some many people but upon meeting Normani, i really don't want anyone. she's the one that has my attention. i have to admit when i first met her, i thought she was a dumbass for tripping over nothing. perhaps, she saw me and instantly fell in love but hey, i'd never know. i also thought she was dating Ally and Lauren, considering she sat in Ally's lap and then Lauren kissed her neck. it was all confusing for me but i didn't really care for it.

when we met that detective girl, Zendaya, i felt like i could bond with her and get to know her. so when Normani told me not to have any relations with her, i understood that she was looking out for me. she also told me the rules of the job. i, of course, didn't really understand why it had to be like that but i wasn't going to question it. i needed this job and i finally met someone i'm going to risk my life for.

"Dinah?" Camila asked, snapping her fingers in front of my face.

"yeah? sorry, i didn't mean to zone out."

"it's fine? i was just asking what time are you going home?"

"i'll be going home soon. i just need to clean some things up."

"i can help you?"

"it's not going to be long, i just need to clear my head."

"you really like Normani, don't you?"

"it's not like something's going to come out of it. we can't date, that's the most important rule. their other partners had to transfer because they fell in love. i'm pretty sure that's what Normani said."

"then what do you plan on doing?"

"i want to quit this job and do something else."

"D, no. i'm not letting you quit because of Normani."

"Mila, what am i supposed to do? keep my feelings inside while i watch her laugh, smile and talk to other girls? i get so jealous and she's not even mine."

"i can't believe you're doing this because of a girl. do you know how hard it was to get transferred and now you want to quit?"

"why are you getting upset?" i asked, standing up.

"i don't want you to throw your life out the damn window because of a person that isn't worth it. you're the reason we always have to transfer. you need to stop falling in love. the last relationship you had, he bullied us along with our coworkers. he ripped up out transfer papers to stop us from leaving. you had to beat him up, remember? this is all because you fell in love."

"if you think that Normani isn't worth it then fine. i'll be distant but the minute she gets hurt, i'm by her side and telling her what exactly happened today. i will never forgive you if i lose her because of this."

i got up and left. i didn't want to be around a girl that was supposed to be my best friend. not someone who blamed me for our transfer. i can't help if i fall in love, it's not my plan. for her, i'm hiding my feelings and staying away from Normani. that's how much i love Camila.

xxxx

*a few weeks later*

it's nearing May, her birth month. i, of course, am staying away from her. only talking to her when i have to. when i go home or have a day off, i turn off my phone, lock all the door, turn off all the lights and just lay on my bed, restless. they always asked what happened when i come back to work but i just ignore them. i feel like they're starting to notice it too but do i care? not at all. i have no feelings at all since the day Camila blamed everything on me. April 12, 2021 is a day i'll never forget because someone i thought to be my best friend told me to put my feelings away.

"Dinah, what's wrong? did i do something?" Normani asked, worriedly.

"no, it's not what you did."

"then why aren't you talking to me?"

"i can't."

"why not? we're partners, we're supposed to talk to each other."

"Normani, please just stop. if you like me, make yourself not like me. i'm not worth getting in trouble with. i'm not someone you want to fall in love with. i'm toxic and i wouldn't forgive myself if you lost your job because of me. so please do yourself a favor and just stop liking me."

"who was it?" she asked, softly.

"who was what?" i asked, confused.

"who put that in your head?"

"that's not your business."

"it was Camila, wasn't it? she's the one that got in your head."

before i could respond, Normani abruptly left and i followed her, struggling to catch up. i watched as she slapped Camila's coffee out of her hand, causing everyone to stop what they were doing. Lauren and Ally came into the room, confused as to what was happening.

"what the hell, Mani?!" she screamed.

"what did you say to Dinah?"

"what are you talking about?! you just ruined my favorite shirt."

i watched as Camila began to wipe her shirt with napkins. Lauren walked over to me and wrapped an arm around me.

"what happened?" she whispered.

"you'll find out in a second." i whispered back.

"how could you put those thoughts into Dinah's head?!"

"what thoughts?!"

"that she's not worth it and that i'd lose my job for liking her."

"first of all, i said you're not worth it. second of all, get your facts straight before you accuse me."

"oh i have my facts straight. i heard everything you told Dinah that day."

"oh really? please tell me what happened then." she said, scoffing as she crossed her arms over her chest.

"you blamed her for being the reason you two always have to get transferred. how it's Dinah's fault for always falling in love with the wrong people even though she can't help it. how she had to beat an ex up because he ripped up the transfer papers. how you two got bullied because of the ex getting promoted. how i'm not worth it. i'd rather leave this job to be with Dinah. all you do is blame her and all she's ever done is stay by your side. she stopped talking to me because of you. that's how much she loves you and you don't deserve to be her friend for making her lock up her feelings. you're dating her cousin for fuck's sake, what's it to you when it comes to her and who she likes? you don't have a say in it. you should be ashamed for calling yourself her best friend when you aren't even there to support her. you made her into this person i don't like."

Normani walked away and everyone just stood there, mouths opened. i watched as Lauren and Ally leave to follow Normani. i stood there looking at Camila, who was still trying to fix her stain.

"you don't think she's worth it but she just proved she is." i told Camila before walking out of the room to find Normani and the girls.