chapter 6

Normani Kordei Hamilton

Leslie was released and reunited with her lover . when she saw me , she walked towards me . I wrapped my arms around Lauren , who held me tight .

"Normani , I want to say that I'm sorry about your m-"

"you killed her ." I said , with clenched teeth .

she exhaled deeply and looked down at the floor .

"Alicia said those things didn't she ?"

"are they true ?"

"no , they aren't ."

I watch as she looked up with a sad face . I instantly felt guilty for accusing her .

"then what's the truth ?"

"it's true that your dad left me for your mom but I didn't intend on hurting your family . the day your mom died , I never got the chance to thank her . she saved me from getting killed . she took the bullets for me . I honestly wish I can take back what happened because she didn't deserve that . I was in a bad place when she saw me and wanted to help me . as soon as she heard shots being fired , she threw herself on me and got shot in the process . she didn't have her vest on either . I was lying there with a dead body and I didn't know what to do . so I ran . what happened for the last month or so wasn't my fault . Alicia had threatened me to kidnap the family . she wanted me to be with her dad again but I'm in love with someone else . Alex didn't mean to shoot Dinah , he was scared because he wasn't used to seeing her . I told him to shoot anybody if they looked scary . I guess he thought Dinah was scary considering she was carrying a gun so he shot her . I'm so sorry for this . I didn't mean for this ."

I could see how genuine she was because she ended up crying by the end . I saw Dinah and Camila staring at us but I waved Dinah over . she gave me a confused look but I shook my head and pointed to Leslie . she quickly understood . Dinah lifted her head up to look into her eyes . after a couple minutes , she let Leslie's face go and turn to me .

"she's telling the truth ."

"how could she kill her brother ?" ally asked .

"it's not right . this shouldn't have been the way things ended . how did a 13 year old think of this ? what was she really trying to gain ?" I asked .

after thinking about it to myself , I figured it out . she wanted to have her mom get caught so she could get away . she killed Brendan because she hated that they weren't real siblings . that's why she didn't really like hanging out with him even though she pretended to . I can remember how she had hatred in her eyes when she looked at him . I didn't realize it until now . she had her whole life ahead of her so why ruin it by committing a crime ? why couldn't she have been happy and not plan this .

"mani , do you know why ?"

I looked up at the girls , who all wore concerned faces . I was biting my nails and that was something I did when I was thinking . I moved my hands down to my side .

"she killed the mom and brother because deep down she hated them . they weren't her blood . Brendan was a half brother but she wanted a full brother . I feel like she wanted to kill them so she threatened the mom . the mom not wanting to disobey because God knows why . Alicia wasn't happy when she found out that her mom had a lover . I'm still not sure how her mind works though so I may be off . I'm still not sure what she gained by this ."

"sergeant will work it out . while you were having your thinking session , he told us that the case is in his hands and he'll decide what he wants to do with Alicia . he's not happy about what she did considering his wife and child are gone ."

"I wouldn't be happy either if I found out that my wife and child were killed by my other child ."

"he wants us to rest . he'll have another case for us soon ."

I nodded my head and walked with Dinah and Camila . Dinah kept giving me side glances while Camila spaced out and almost ran into things if she didn't have Dinah .

"did your dad not tell you how she died ?" Dinah asked in a soft voice .

"no , he didn't . he just told me that she died and that he doesn't want to be here anymore . I haven't seen him in awhile ."

"I'm sorry ."

"it's not your fault ."

she stops walking and pulls me towards the bathroom . we were standing outside when she suddenly pulled me into a hug .

"I still feel bad . you lost both of your parents . I don't know how you do it ."

"I have two amazing friends that are there for me . I can't believe that they stuck by me through all the shit we've been through ."

I pulled away from the hug to find Lauren's arm draped around ally's shoulders and Camila just looking out the window by the exit .

"you have me and Camila . we're partners and we're not going to let you suffer alone ."

I gave her a small smile and she reciprocated it . she pulls me in closer and kisses my head . I close my eyes and exhale through my nose . when I inhaled , her vanilla and mint scent filled my nose . she pulled away this time and wrapped her arm around my shoulders as we walked towards the girls .

"let's go home ."

they nodded and we headed towards the car . with Dinah's arm around my shoulder , I took her right hand in mine and held it . she looked confused but nonetheless smiled at the gesture . she opened the door for me and I thanked her by kissing her cheek . her cheeks instantly flushed with red . I got in and she closed the door , with a red face . she walked to the back and went in . I looked up at the mirror and adjusted it so I could see her face . she was still blushing but her attention was on her lap . I smiled before starting the car .

this is forbidden but I think I'm falling in love with Dinah . how can I not ? she's so beautiful and I have never met anyone that I ever wanted to be with on this job . I hope that one day I could be with her . i don't like that we have dating rules but it's for precaution . sergeant doesn't want us to worry about our loved ones if they were sent on a dangerous mission . hell , i don't even like it when Dinah goes out to find evidence or some shit . the thought that she can die out there scares me . I don't want anything happening to her . to either of the girls because they are my partners and I don't think I'd be happy doing this by myself .