chapter 4: new friends

chapter 4

new friends

A few hours later, Moon and I reached the city.  It was bigger than I thought.  Moles and cheetah-looking things were walking around, minding their own business, the buildings were built like some ancient medieval kingdom, dragon statues here and there, this place was pretty cool.  "Woah!" Moon said, "This is awesome!  C'mon Pee Wee, let's go!" "Stop calling me that!" I exclaimed.  Some small mole kid was watching with wide eyes, but I couldn't care less, but a few minutes later, I noticed something strange.  Everybody was staring at me like I was some kind of criminal.

"careful Pee Wee," Moon said mockingly, "you never know when paparazzi might pop out of nowhere, and ask you stupid questions." "Moon, shut up." "Whatever!" "Oh my gosh!" I heard one of the moles say, "A dragon?  Here?" Then all of a sudden, the silence turned into a comotion.  All of the moles gathering around us started yapping none stop, it drived me crazy! "I thought they went to the other side of the world!" "No, they disappeared!" "You're both wrong!  You're all hallucinating they never existed!" "Moon." I said, "What, can't take being a celebrity?" Moon said mockingly, "No, what are they talking about?" "Beats me." Moon replied, "They've probably never seen a dragon before.  I've heard that moles were a little, well you know." Moon moved his left paw next to his head, and spun it around in a gesture that meant that someone was crazy.  "Well, let's find somebody who can help." I said, "You sure you don't have time for autographs?" "Moon!" "Ok!  sorry if I flipped you off.  Hey, that looks like somewhere the mayor would be." Moon pointed at a City Hall-looking building.  "That looks promising." I said, "C'mon, let's go in!"

We entered the building, and it definitely looked like the mayor's home.  Red carpets, white walls with matching columns, busts of previous mayors, this was the place we were looking for.  Moon and I climbed countless flights of fancy-looking spiral stairs into a par of large, wooden doors with pictures of dragons imprinted on them.  I opened the door and entered the circular room.  At the end of the room, there was a massive window, which showed a beautiful view of the city.

There was a single cheetah-looking guy standing there.  He wore a red and gold robe.  I thought that he would probably go ballistic if he saw a dragon in his room.  "Excuse me." I said, "Come in." said the cheetah. He turned around to face me, and he stared into me with his green eyes.  "It's been a long time since I met a dragon in the city.  Allow me to introduce myself.  I am Hunter, and you are?" "Spyro." I replied, "Well Spyro," he started, "it seems that you're a lucky dragon.  In fact, you kind of remind me of a friend of mine, she too is a dragon, and I'm sure that she'll be happy to see you." Immediately, I thought of that girl I met years ago.  Was she alive?  I had to find out.  "her name dosen't happen to be Cynder isn't it?" "Cynder?" Hunter said, "No, her name is Celibacy, and she's head of the Skylanders while I remain in office." "Skylanders?" I asked, "They're a gang of freedom fighters." he explained, "They vow to deal with the gnorcs' defenses while our army's fighting the war." "There's a war!?" "Yes my friend.  As you can see, the gnorcs are viscous creatures, who want to destroy the law of the guardians." "So that knight guy that killed my parents, is he leading them?" "Do you mean the Dark Knight?" "Yeah, I think so." Hunter turned around again, and looked out the window.  For some reason, I knew that its going to be hard for him to explain. "The Dark Knight," he started, "is an assassin, working for Malrix.  You see, he once served the original dark master, and was known as the leader of his armies, and his top hit man.  If he is searching for you, it means that he will stop at nothing until you are either dead," Hunter turned his head to face me.  "or you become the next dark master.  Either way, there is no avoiding him."

At this, I felt compelled to help these freedom fighters with the problem.  "Maybe, Moon and I can help." I said, "You would do that?" "Sure." I replied, "Why not?  We're going to have to fight the Dark Knight sooner or later.  So why not do it now?" "Very well.  I'll send you to their headquarters by carriage.  May the spirits of the guardians guide your way to your goals."

"What the heck did you just say?" Moon exclaimed, "We're headed towards the Skylanders' HQ." "Bull crud!" Moon yelled, "You maybe, but I'm staying here, and there's nothing you can do to make me go!"

"I hate you." Moon said as the carriage carrying us rolled towards the miniature forest we slept in last night.  It was night time out, and we figured that we were going to end up falling asleep anyway, so we decided to catch some Zs while we're going.  I didn't dream of anything in particular, but I woke up to a strong female voice saying, "These are our new recruits!?  They're nothing!" "Yes, but Hunter sent them here to help, so-" said Mason, the mole driver of the carriage.  "Hunter sent them here!?  Why the heck would he do that?" "I see that you're getting better at controlling your language." "Oh, shut up, and-" Well, I'd finish the sentence, but there are WAY too many swear words involved.

Moon got up first, and he was flirting with the girl as I stepped out of the carriage.  My feet were still asleep, and that made it difficult to climb out.  "So, your name's Celibacy?  Maybe you should change your name to Hitched." "Oh mole pies, you're flirting with me!" Said the woman.  "I'm not really the marrying kind." "Oh." Moon said as the woman walked up to me.  She had purple scales, dark blue eyes, her snout was similar to mine, but more like the one that belonged to that girl in my dream.  Her gold horns led towards the back of her head, rather than upwards, like mine.  her back spikes, and under belly were exactly like mine.  In fact, she looked a lot like me.  I stood there, wide eyed, and confused.  I didn't know why, but I felt like I've seen her before.  "Well." she said, "Are you going to introduce yourself, or am I going to have to call you Pee Wee?" "That's what I call him!" Moon exclaimed, "Who cares, what you think?" she said back to Moon.  I finally got the courage to break my wide-eyed trance, and introduce myself.  "My name is Spyro." I said, "What did you say?" She asked, "Spyro." I repeated, "Oh, your name is Spyro, I'm Celibacy, and this is Sparx." her head turned to face a small, yellow dragonfly.  "Well, aren't you going to say hi to our new recruits?" "Who, me?" Sparx said, "Okay, fine!  hello there, I'm Sparx.  Welcome to Skylanders HQ.  Here, you will trained to be the best recruits you can be.  And by recruits, I mean victims." "Sparx!" Celibacy gave him a cold stare, "So, let's get on the tour shall we." "Nah," I said, "I think I'll go to sleep." "Whatever floats your boat, weirdo." "I'll show you and Moon to your rooms." Celibacy said, and we came to a small opening, surrounded by trees. "This is where you'll be staying." Celibacy said as she walked away.  Moon and I rested on the soft, green grass. "Hey, Spyro." Moon said, "You think Celibacy's got the hots for me?" "Honestly," I started, "I think you're better off." Moon swore under his breath and we fell asleep soon afterwards, but I couldn't help but feeling that I was endangering everyone.