Chapter Fourteen

~Chapter Fourteen~

*Zayn's POV*

When I wake up the next morning I've made up my mind. I'm going to stay with Liam, but honestly I don't think leaving him was ever an option for me. I'm going to try to help him through this. I know that he's made some mistakes, he should've been honest with me from the beginning, but I know that he was telling the truth when he said that he had good intentions the entire time. I don't know what I would've done if the situation had been reversed.

I take a shower so that I don't look like a complete wreck, and then head straight over to Liam's hotel room. I hope he's still there, he never really explained to me about why he was staying in a hotel.

As soon as I get there I head back to his room, remembering the number from yesterday. I knock on the door, Karen answers. A look of pure relief crosses her face. "I was so worried that you wouldn't come back."

"I will always come back. That's how our relationship works."

We spend the rest of the day in that hotel room, watching TV, laughing, reminiscing about old times. Liam tells me that the reason that they're staying at the hotel is because it's much closer to the hospital than his parents' house or our apartment, and they want to be prepared for the worst. He even explains everything that he's going to have to do for his treatments to me. I can tell from his facial expression that he's worried about the treatments, and I can tell that he's not exactly telling me everything that he's going to go through. He doesn't want me to worry more than necessary, and I can respect that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A week later, and we've been spending as much time together as possible. A lot of the times we're justing hanging out with each other, talking and watching movies. I've come to cherish our time together a lot more than I used to. I know that he might get through this, he might beat the cancer that's trying to take over his brain. I can't help but thinking about what will happen if he doesn't though. I don't even want to imagine how I will react if the worst were to happen.

A knock on the door to their hotel room again. Karen opens the door, but continues to stand in the doorway. "You might not want to see him today. He's... He's not feeling the best right now."

"Have they changed something with his medicine... I thought they weren't supposed to start until-"

"No, it's not that, he's just... He's having a bad day today."

Liam has already explained this to me. The tumor in his brain wasn't just hurting him physically, mentally it was sort of messing him up. As it grew, the good days would get fewer and fewer. There's really no way of knowing how he would act on any given day. And even if not all of his behavior is the result of the tumor, it's to be expected that he's a bit depressed occasionally.

"Karen, when I decided to stay with Liam I signed up for the bad days too. You go spend time with your husband. I can take care of him for a day."

"I'm really not sure that's a good idea."

"If I can't deal with him on the bad days I don't deserve him on the good days. You, on the other hand, deserve a break. Go get a pedicure or something. I'll see you tomorrow morning." And with that I pull her out of the room and push her gently away from the door. "We'll be fine, I promise." I shut the door before she can let herself back in.

When I survey the room I see Liam laying on the bed with the covers over his entire body. "Liam?" I whisper to see if he's awake.

"Go away." His tone and flat and uncaring.

For the rest of the day he talks to me a total of three times. One of them was to turn the radio off, I was hoping that the music would put him in a better mood. The other two times were him stating that he was hungry.