Chapter Five

Chapter Five

*Zayn's POV*

That weekend went by very fast, and our relationship went back to almost normal. We even hung out with Harry and Niall on Sunday, and even though they were very touchy-feely, I managed to keep Liam sufficiently distracted. The only thing off about Liam was that he seemed worn out and tired, other than that he was perfectly normal.

The trouble came again on Monday. All weekend Liam had been acting almost normal; however, on Monday he didn't get home until 6:30, which I would've been completely fine with, except for the fact that he wouldn't tell me why he was late.

The same thing happened on Tuesday. And Wednesday. And Thursday. And Friday. The only difference was that each day he got home slightly later. On Friday I don't even know what time he got home, I was asleep before he walked through the door. On Saturday he was here all day, but he barely got out of bed, he only got up to eat and go to the bathroom. And then today he must've left the house at the crack of dawn, because I woke up at seven and there was no sign of him being here. Now it's almost 10 o'clock at night, and I have no idea where he's gone.

I've stopped getting angry at him, as it doesn't do anything. I'm just sad. I've never really been a depressed type of person, but now I feel like I might become one. It's even affecting my artwork. What I once saw as two happy lovers having a romantic walk in the park, I know see as an unhappily married couple on the brink of divorce. Every time I've tried to start a new project this week, I haven't been able to create a happy image.

Liam has almost completely stopped talking to me, and when he does speak to me it's either cold and unfeeling or angry. I don't know what I did to make him like this, I don't think trouble at work would make him act this way. Besides, before this Liam has always loved his job. I think tomorrow I'm going to talk to Niall about how I should handle this, but until then I'm just going to have to pretend that I live by myself, which after this like week, really isn't that hard to pretend.

I remember when we first started dating, the way we were so in love. I always felt a need to be around him, him going to work during the day made me feel like I was in pain. I don't really know when that stopped, and I don't know if there's a way to get back to where we were.

I just don't know anything anymore.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wake up early on Monday morning, not surprised to find the other half of the bed empty. I hurry and get ready for the day, I have to take my painting of the couple in the park, entitled "The Colors of Love", and bring it to the gallery today. After I take a shower and style my hair I put on my some of my more 'presentable' clothes, make sure that the painting is in my portfolio, and head to the museum.

It takes forever to go through the process of dropping off my painting, I have to fill out multiple forms, allowing the museum to use my piece in whatever kind of advertising they want to. By the time I get out of there it's nearly lunchtime, so I text Niall and then head to our usual spot.

The waitress recognizes me and asks me how I've been as soon as I walk through the door, I pretend that I've been fine, pretend that everything is normal. This adorable little cafe is basically a second home to me, I remember one summer Niall and I were here at least three times a week. I sit down at our normal booth, we don't even have to order anymore, all of the waitresses know our usual orders.

"Niall coming today, Zayn?" Perrie breaks me out of my train of thought, looking down at me with a friendly smile.

"Yeah. Yeah he is, he should be here soon." I smile back at her in a way that I hope looks genuine as she heads to the back to put someone's order in.

I don't even have to wait 10 minutes before Niall arrives. I love the fact that we can still do this, even though we are both 'grown ups' now, we still have time for each other. I definitely couldn't ask for a better friend.

Nialls sits down, "Ugh. The new guy at the office that was messing up the other day hasn't gotten any better! I swear, some people are just not meant to have a job!"

"I'm sure he'll catch on eventually, just have patience."

"You're one to talk. Remember that time you tried to teach me how to paint?"

"That's different."

"Sure it is."

We finish eating quickly, no one really saying much of anything.

As soon as he finishes eating, Niall asks a question I know that he's been dying to ask since he first got here. "So... How're you and Liam doing?"

I grimace before answering, "I don't know if I should talk about it here. What time do you get off of work today?"

"Ummmm. Well, I'm supposed to go in for another couple of hours after lunch, but I could probably call and pull some strings so that I could go straight home..."

"Could you really? That would be awesome, I really need to talk to someone about it."

"Yeah, I'll just have to trade a couple of shifts with somebody, people do it all the time. Just head to my house, I'll be there within a half hour or so."

"Niall, have I ever told you that you're my best friend?"

"Yes, but it's always nice to be reminded." Niall heads out the door with a cheeky grin. "And it's your turn to pay!"

As soon as I pay for our meal, I take a taxi to Niall's house.

I'm anxiously sitting on the couch waiting, when Niall walks in. He dramatically falls onto the other side of the couch. "Ok. I rearranged my schedule for you, now I want you to tell me everything that's happened."

So I tell him the way that Liam's been acting, and after I finish telling him all the details, I tell him my fear.

This didn't just come to me, it's slowly been dawning on me the last week. At first I was skeptical, I mean Liam would be the last person in the entire world I would expect this of, but at this point I don't know what else it could be.

"Niall, I think that Liam might be having an affair."

"What?!"

"No, seriously, I think he might be. I mean he's been tired and grouchy and he's been getting home late almost every day. Yesterday I didn't even see him. At all. Isn't that at least a little bit suspicious?"

"Well, yeah. If I didn't know Liam I might think that too, but we both know that Liam would never do something like that, he cares about you too much. "

"The thing is though, he hasn't been acting like himself either. The Liam that we both know would never cheat on anybody, but I don't know if that Liam even exists anymore."

"I guess you might be right." Niall looks almost as upset as I feel.

My eyes start to water a little bit as I think of everything that's happened the last week and a half. "What am I going to do?"

Niall grabs me in a tight hug. "Oh Zayn! It's going to be okay, and if Liam really has been messing around I'll just have to make sure that he can't have children."

I laugh a little in a 'not funny' kind of way.

Niall gives me a serious look. "It's kind of funny that you think I'm joking. And you're going to have to talk to him about this, you just can't quietly suspect it of him, you need to talk to him about it, and soon."

"I know, I know, but what do I do if I'm wrong Niall? Hell, what do if I'm right?! I'm screwed either way!" I lean into Niall's embrace for a few seconds. "When did this happen Niall? When did I become one of those people who had to wonder if someone else was fucking their boyfriend?"

"I don't know Zayn, but we're going to figure this out. I promise."

~End of Chapter Five~

Dedicated to  @NicoleHoran9 for leaving me a cute message. Those kinds of things mean a lot to me!!!