Police

Adrian

"Here's your iced coffee," said the barista. She hands him a medium sized cup with a flirtatious wink. Her eyebrow ring gleamed in the shop's light at her wink. Adrian just wanted to rip it off and shove it down her throat.

Adrian only smiles at her and pays with a ten dollar bill, giving her the change as a tip. (And hoping she wouldn't try to flirt with him again.) "Anything else?" she asked. (Guess not.) "Im fine. Thank you." Adrian said with a small wave. He walks away from the counter and sits down at a booth that viewed the street. Thankful that she doesn't try to get his attention.

Instead of looking out the window or drinking his coffee, Adrian looks in front of him. Two booths ahead of him was his target. Michael Winters.

Adrian woke up that morning with a goal. To scope out Michael and watch for any weaknesses. He knew that he had to take notes on Michael. Over the years, Adrian learned to study his targets. After a few mistakes in the past, he made sure to keep tabs on them.

Currently, Michael was chatting on the phone. An annoyed look was on his ugly face. Probably noticed his wallet was missing. Wonder how long it took him to notice, Adrian mused with a smirk.

Adrian takes a sip of his coffee and starts taking notes on his small notepad. His eyes gave off a psychotic glint as he views Michael. Watching him as a hawk would view prey.

Jotting down a few notes, he takes notice of how Michael handled himself. His dominate hand was his right from the way he held his phone and his hair was thinning but not from age. Adrian notices Michael's thin skin and the bags around his eyes from where he sat. 'He's ill', Adrian thought in realization.

He quickly scribbles his thoughts down on the paper. Adrian glances up again and saw Michael was no longer there. 'Shit,' he thought as he viewed the coffee shop. His pulse quickened as he worried that Michael left.

His eyes quickly find Michael just at the entrance. The man exited the coffee shop in a brisk pace. Adrian cursed under his breath as he hastily collects his things and chases after Michael. He tosses his coffee in the trash as he left with a flick of his wrist as he left the shop.

Adrian hurried after Michael but kept equal distance from him. He throws his hoodie over his head and had his eyes downcast. About twenty feet away from Michael, he kept his eyes at the man's feet. Watching closely so he wouldn't lose sight of Michael.

Instincts kicked in and he tunes in his ears, closing out all of the noises and focusing on Michael. He could faintly hear Michael talking on his phone. 'God, how long does he talk on that phone?' Adrian thought.

The wind blew south and drifted toward Adrian. His ears twitched as he listened closely.

"I'll find . . . I called the company to . . . I'll find that . . ." Michael's voice faded in and out. It irked Adrian that he couldn't hear enough. So he takes his chances and speeds up his walk toward Michael. His eyes were locked on the back of Michael's head. Adrian imagined that he was bashing his skull in with his own hands.

He was close enough to be just a few feet behind Michael. Not close enough to notice but enough to hear Michael clearly.

"That kid is like his father, not smart at all. I'll get him when he least expects it." Michael spoke into his phone. A growl rumbled in Adrian's throat. 'That bastard,' Adrian thought angrily. He reaches into his jacket pocket to grab the small icepick he handcrafted. His anger was building up over the edge.

Just seconds before committing another murder, Adrian changes his mind and lets go of the icepick. He couldn't expose himself yet. That man will know who Adrian is soon enough.

He stops walking and lets Michael walk away. That man unknowing that he was nearly murdered just then.

________________________________

The walk back to his apartment never felt so painful. Adrian wanted to turn back around and finish off Michael then and there. But he fought his killer instincts. He knew that Michael wasn't his kill. It was Cody's.

He takes the elevator instead of the stairs. His breath was raspy and his chest hurt. Never has he felt pain from choosing not to kill a person. He is usually calm when he holds back but not this time.

The elevator stopped two floors below his floor. A mother and son stepped inside. Adrian pressed himself against the wall to give them room. The mother pushed the lobby button and waited quietly.

Luckily, the elevator took them to his floor first. He stepped out with a small smile to the mother and son. His mind gave him the painful reminder of his mother and him. When the elevator doors shut, he let out a growl. Adrian used to hope that his mother would return to patch up the wounds in his father and Adrian. That hope ended when his father started hitting him with a belt.

Adrian entered his apartment with a big sigh. A headache was growing that was worse than Cody's attacks. He throws off his jacket and shirt, feeling his skin become hot. Sweat glistened his pale skin and tattoos.

'Did I catch Cody's sickness?' Adrian thought as he wipes away sweat from his forehead.

Suddenly, there was a knock at the door. Adrian tenses up as he looks at the door. "NYPD, open the door." shouted a man on the other side.

'Shit,' Adrian thought as he quickly puts on his shirt and hides the icepick by stuffing it in a drawer. "Coming," he said as he finishes looking over the living room, making sure to not have any evidence. Once he's sure everything is hidden, Adrian heads to the door.

He opens the door and is greeted by two men in business suits. One was smaller than the other. The smaller one had a buzzcut with black hair and bushy eyebrows. The bigger man had shaggy brown hair and there was a scar on his eyebrow. Adrian recognized them as the leading officers in Takanawa's murder case.

"May I help you officers?" Adrian asked with feigned innocence.

"Jonathan Brice?" asked the big guy.

"That's me." Adrian said, recognizing his alias name. "I'm Detective Jackson and this is Detective Johns. We are homicide detectives looking into the murder of Yuuta Takanawa." said the big officer. 'Bitch must've squealed,' Adrian thought angrily. "Im sorry but I don't know a Yuuta Takanawa. I moved to New York not too long ago." he said, half lying-half speaking the truth.

Detective Johns stepped up and takes out a picture. He shows the picture to Adrian, and he sees that it was a picture of Keiko. "Do you know this girl?" Detective Johns asked.

Pretending to take a look of the picture, Adrian shakes his head. "I don't know her personally but I think I've seen her on the news," he said half-truthfully. "Is there anything else you need to ask? I have a date to prepare for." Adrian said with a smile.

A sigh escaped from Detective Jackson. "Listen, Keiko Takanawa told us she talked to a man with your description. Did you speak with Keiko?" he demanded coldly. He gave Adrian a hard glare that was daring Adrian to lie. "No, I have not, Officer." he drawled out 'officer' in a taunting tone.

"Well then, since you're a person of interest in the murder case, we advise you not to leave town. We may have follow up questions for you." Detective Johns said as he literally pulls Jackson away from the doorway. "Yes, Sir," Adrian said with a smile before shutting the door. The second he closes the door, the smile disappeared from his face.

"Fuck."