Mother of a Murderer

Adrian

It took about thirty minutes to escape the police. He veered through lanes with his foot pressed fully on the gas pedal. The screams of frightened citizens barely affected him. Of course, he tried not to hit any one because he wasn't that heartless.

When he makes a turn a block away from the police, he quickly ditched the ambulance truck. Luckily, there wasn't anyone on the street or sidewalks. He jumped out of the truck and took off running after he rolled. As he ran through an alley, he heard the ambulance truck crash. Then there was the rushing sound of a fire hydrant exploding. Luckily, he grabbed a bag full of narcotics and other medicines to treat himself before jumping.

His wounds began to throb tremendously as he walks. He was lucky that Michael didn't shoot him in the chest. The bullet passed through his stomach and exited through his back. It didn't puncture any organs so it was the lack of blood that was life threatening. Adrian recalled falling unconscious just as he saw the police bursting into the room, and he woke up inside an ambulance truck with EMTs staring down at him.

The distance wails of sirens made him quicken his step. He was five blocks away from his apartment and thirty miles from Cody's house. Through his haze, he saw Cody being handcuffed and questioned. If Adrian fled and returned to Cody's house, there would obviously be officers there. Cody had enough in his hands, and no one needs to know one of his friends is a murderer.

'Hope Cody and Michaela can handle interrogation. Wait, no, the other way around.' Adrian thought amusingly.

He felt his stitches begin to throb, and Adrian knew they were becoming undone. Breathing was starting to become a pain even when he stopped running. Adrian rests his back against the brick wall and coughed up blood-filled saliva. "Should lay off . . . the running." he said to himself.

Slowly, he unzips the bag with a shaky hand. It was filled with medicine and gauze. Taking in a deep breath, Adrian rolls up the jacket he stole to look at his stitches. His wound had swelled up in size with the stitches barely holding together. The pain in the wound was becoming unbearable. Adrian searches through the bag for any narcotics that would ease the pain.

He finds a syringe and a small vile full of morphine. With shaky hands, he fills the syringe full of morphine. Then he sinks the needle into the bullet wound and injects the morphine into his body. It felt like a flower was blooming in his stomach. The pain eased from the wound, and Adrian could see his skin slowly settle from the swelling.

'Just five blocks to go. Five blocks,' Adrian tried to think encouragingly. He pushes himself back onto his feet with a groan. There was still pain sizzling in his bones but it didn't bother him as much. Taking in a deep breath, Adrian holds the bag close to his back and walks away.

________________________________

Never has Adrian felt so drowsy in his life. It took less than ten minutes for the morphine to spread through his entire body. Luckily, there was no longer any pain in his stitches or bruises. But it was now difficult to walk straight without something to press against.

His head pounded with drowsiness as he walked down the empty sidewalk. It was almost two in the morning. Not even drunk men or women were outside.

Through drowsy eyes, he read the street sign when he reaches an intersection. 'Baker Street. Great. Two more blocks to go,' Adrian thought with a groan. In all his years of being on the run, never has he felt such hatred for his mother to making him this way.

Faintly, Adrian hears the echoing sound of police sirens. The large empty street seemed to grow smaller as the police car starts to drive down the block. Adrian cursed as he slips behind a dumpster. He squatted down to shrink into the darkness. Small shocks of pain shot through his stomach as he curls himself up.

After what felt like forever, a squad car drove by. It's lights were flashing bright enough to cause a seizure. Adrian kept his head down and waited quietly. Despite barely feeling anything, he could feel the tension in his bones as he was prepared for anything.

Once he could no longer hear the sirens, Adrian gets back on his feet, but suddenly, he feels sickness rush through him. He felt the last bit of food flow back up his throat and he couldn't hold it in. Collapsing back on to his knees, Adrian threw up everything he had. 'If I could, I would've brought Michael back from the dead just to kill him myself!'

Five minutes of constant retching, he could feel his head getting ready to explode. "Fuck my life." Adrian said in between hacks.

"Your life must've sucked if you say that." suddenly spoke a woman from behind. It was surprisingly familiar but Adrian couldn't put his finger on it. He coughed a few times before looking up.

There was an older woman standing a few feet away. She was dressed in an evening gown that said she came back from a fancy dinner or ball or something. The shadows hid her face yet Adrian felt like he knew her. "You don't know the half of it." he said with a wipe at his chin. His words received a laugh from the woman, and then it became clear.

Her laugh was the same. Her form was the same. Even her hair was the same. Adrian went rigid when he recognized who she was. The very woman that left him so long ago . . .

"Mother." he hissed.

Almost immediately, his mother stopped laughing. Even though her face was hid by the darkness, Adrian knew there was horror in her eyes. "I don't have a son." she lied. It made Adrian laugh cruelly and insanely. He slowly got back to his feet despite the nausea. Through his bangs, he looked directly at his mother.

"Maria Blue. Cheated on loving husband, and then left his ass with an eight-year old son." Adrian said darkly. He pulls back his hoodie to reveal his face to his mother. "I wonder if you know that Frank is dead, Mother? Did you bother to go to his funeral?" he asked curiously.

Maria began to shake in what could be either fear or anger. "I don't have a son." she repeated. "Bullshit!" Adrian shouted.

In a blink of an eye, he grabs his mother and slams her into the brick wall. His hands dug into her shoulders till they were probably bruising her skin. "You left me with that man! Do you have any fucking idea what hell I have gone through? He beat me, even raped me! Every day I begged for it to stop! For you to come back!

"But you never did! I had to endear the pain every fucking day! Do you know how many scars are on my body that are caused by that man? Because of your damn mistakes, I had to pay for it!" Adrian yelled in his mother's face. White hot anger burned through him as he glared into the same eyes that used to love him. The same eyes that he had.

"I-I'm sorry." she hiccuped. "I never meant to cheat on your father. It just lead to that." Maria said in a shaky voice. A growl cut through Adrian's voice as he tightened his grip on her shoulders. "It lead to my hell," he hissed furiously. "And to his death." he added with a sneer.

Maria's eyes widened when she heard Adrian's words. "That's right," Adrian answered her unasked question. "I killed him. Stabbed him repeatedly till he was dead. And I enjoyed it." Adrian gloated. His hands ghosted up her body till they were on her throat. "I guess I should thank you, Mom. Without you, I wouldn't be who I am." Adrian said.

His hands clench down on her throat. A choked gasp escaped Maria's lips as she began to claw at his arms. "I wouldn't have met the one person I actually care about." he began to list. "And I wouldn't have been able to do this,"

His lips press against Maria's forehead as he tightened his grip on her throat. "I forgive you." he whispered before using all of his strength to break her neck.