Disappear

Cody

Many police cars drove speedily passed his high school. He watched as they sped away through the window.

It was last period and Cody was in math class. He was slightly out of it because his mind was still on the person he saw. A creepy vibe came from the person but Cody learned not to judge a person right away without getting to know them. Not that he wants to know who that person was.

He looks away from the window and concentrates on math. Carefully listening to his teacher.

As he was writing notes down, a paper ball hit him in the side of the head. Cody didn't react at all and just ignores his tormentors. Perfectly at ease with his bullies despite being bullied all his life.

More balls hit him and it was beginning to become annoying. Keeping his eyes on his paper, when a paper ball was about to hit him, he catches the ball just before it hits him. Then he tosses it in the trash can.

The final bell rung and almost every student hurried out of the room. Cody took his time as he collects his things and packs them into his bag. He is bumped into multiple times in hopes of being tripped by his bullies. Only, he stood still and kept a firm stance.

When he was the last one in the room besides his teacher Mr. Cunning, he finally leaves the room. The entire hallway was full of kids running toward where the bus loop and their cars were. Cody quickly maneuvers his way through the crowd to keep himself from being bumped into.

"Cody! Hold on!"

A hand clasped on Cody's shoulder as someone ran up beside him. He sees it was his only friend Michaela Lavender. Only person that considered him not a target.

"Michaela, I told you that you can't scare me." Cody said with a laugh. He pushes Michaela's hand off his shoulder, and they walk to the buses. "Where were you this morning? You didn't come on to the bus." Cody asked. "I had a dentist appointment." Michaela replied with a smile, showing off her clean white teeth. Rolling his eyes, Cody just laughed at his friend.

They got to their bus that was at the front of the line. The bus was packed with every student that was on its route. Cody and Michaela sat together in a seat that was in the middle of the bus. He got the window seat while Michaela sat beside him.

"How's Izzy doing? I haven't seen that lizard in weeks." Michaela got a sparkly look in her eyes as she spoke of the reptile. "I got claw marks from her this morning." Cody said gruffly. He rubs the scratches he got from Izzy. Slightly wincing at the soft sting.

The bus took off with a powerful rumble in the engine. Cody takes out his earbuds and puts them in. He was about to play some music when Michaela suddenly asks,"Did you hear what happened to Mr. Takanawa?"

The memory of that man flashes across Cody's brain before he asks,"What happened?" He looks at Michaela and saw her usual happiness was gone and was replaced with grim. "He was murdered this morning." she answered.

Shock and horror was on Cody's face at the news. "What do you mean? How is that possible?" he asked in slight terror. His mind kept going back to the man. Whoever that man was, he might be . . .

"My mom called 911 for a noise complaint. Said there was shouting in Mr. Takanawa's house. They went to check and found him dead in his daughter's bed. Apparently he was stabbed in the back of the head." she explained

Michaela fingered her bracelet. "I heard he used to abuse his daughter. Maybe that's why he was killed." she said.

"I saw someone." Cody said suddenly. It caught Michaela by surprise but she looks at him in confusion. "What do you mean?" she asked. "I saw someone standing in front of his house. He seemed very sketchy to me." Cody said, concentrating on the image of the man.

"You think that was the killer?" Michaela asked suggestively. "I don't know. But he gave me a bad vibe." Cody said in a dark tone.

Michaela and Cody's bus stop was almost blocked with all the cop cars. They stepped out and were met with Sarah waiting for them. She had a worried look on her face but it didn't meet her eyes as they were full of tears. Cody knew that Sarah and Mr. Takanawa were good friends because they shared food recipes. His death must be taking a serious toll on her.

"I'll text you later. I gotta make sure my mom isn't going crazy from fear." Michaela said before she ran off.

Cody looked at his foster mother and could tell what she needed. He pulls Sarah into a hug and held on to her till she was resolved to hiccups. "Don't worry, Sarah. Everything will be alright." Cody said, trying to calm her down. He was used to being consoled and knew how to take care of mourning people.

"Lets go home. I'll make something for you." Cody said softly. As he pat her back, he looks up to look at all the police cars. A news crew was standing outside of the Do Not Cross signs. But that didn't catch his attention. Just beyond the crowd was a familiar figure. His clothes were different but Cody recognized his hair.

Replaced with an AC/DC t-shirt and blue jeans. He no longer had a black hoodie but a jean jacket. His hair was longer than Cody had thought. The bangs dangled over his eyes and nearly hid his face.

The man was watching as the police were investigating. For a second, Cody thought he saw pride on the man's face.

"Cody?" Sarah asked when she notices that he was staring off.

"I'll be right back. I'll meet you back home." Cody said before he starts to advance toward the man. Careful to not catch the attention of the person of interest. He was careful not to walk too quickly. One wrong move can alert the man.

No one got in Cody's way as he walked. They were all too busy focusing on the crime scene.

He was almost on top of the person when those familiar blue eyes pierces him in the soul. It felt like he was frozen in place as the man stared at him. Cody felt cold as he was being watched.

Just as he was there, the person was gone. Disappearing when someone walked by in front of Cody. "Shit!" Cody hissed as he looks around. Where did he go? Cody thought angrily.