There's Plenty of Fish in the Sea

(an example of a short update/ au headcanon)

Meet Dipper Pines, a young siren who was born as a runt into a family with no purpose in life. The only thing special and liked about him was his unusual birthmark on his right shoulder. His hatch-mate and twin sister Mabel, was born with a purpose and a pink tail, normally meaning that they would be/are related to royalty. As the Pines family had no relation to any mermaid or siren of any wealth, the assumption was that her mate was that of royalty and the poor girl was heavily trained in manners and proper etiquette in preparation for next year, her 16th birthday, when she would finally be able to sense her mate. As for Dipper, he wasn't so lucky. 

Although he had an oddly and 'never seen before' coloured tail, of blue with darker patches, he was frowned upon. Why, you ask? He was a siren that could only sing by himself; a "dysfunctional mistake" according to most. 

This wouldn't be so bad, and wouldn't cause horror-filled expressions to creep up onto the faces of other sirens, if the main rule of siren-kind wasn't "a siren should never sing by themselves - we are stronger as a pack". Dipper Pines was screwed. 

That was, until Bill Cipher, the next heir to the throne of the seven seas showed up in his life, and the arrogant, possessive blonde refused to let him go.

Forget that, Dipper Pines was even more screwed.

And not in a good way.