Chapter 12 - In Deep Trouble

Start from the beginning

"Good." He continued. "Because I want you to kill him."

No. No. No. No. No.

I stilled in my spot. "No, Luca, don't." but he didn't listen.

Instead he continued. "And, yeah, one more thing. Don't make it quick, make it painful. Make him suffer." His eyes were fixed on me, glittering with cold menace.

"No, Luca wait. I will. I will marry you." I said in a loud shrill voice. "Just please don't do anything to Dad. Please" I begged. I didn't even realize I had tears in my eyes.

Luca's face looked pleased. I had given him exactly the response that he wanted. He said something again into the phone which I didn't quite understand and slipped it back into his pocket.

He gently cupped my cheeks and wiped away the tears with his thumbs. "Now, Chloe, would it have hurt you to say this earlier?" he whispered softly. "It would have saved us both all this trouble." He pulled me close to him and I rested my head on his chest.

Taking deep breaths, I tried to calm myself down. He kissed the top of my head and I looked up at him. His face was so close to mine that I could feel the heat of his breath on my lips. His gaze dropped to my lips and I wanted him to kiss me.

What am I even thinking?

Not a moment ago, he had ordered someone to kill my father and I wanted this man to kiss me?

But I pushed that thought away. Because one kiss wouldn't hurt, right? I leaned in and so did Luca.

But I jumped back in fright when someone cleared their throat behind us. I whirled around and saw a nun standing in front of us.

"Sister Angelica," Luca said to her. "Could you show Chloe to the church room?" He asked her.

Sister Angelica nodded and led me to one of the back rooms. The room was elongated and didn't have much furniture. Just a small table pushed against the wall with a flower vase on top, two chairs and a mirror. A wooden cross hung on the wall.

The wedding gown was placed on one of the chairs and a bouquet of white roses was kept on top.

"Get changed, my child." She said. "If you need anything just call me. I'll be waiting outside."

I nodded and she left.

I closed my eyes and took in a deep breath. I had never thought I would get married this way- being forced into a marriage against my will.

I took off my clothes and put on the dress. I stood in front of the mirror and examined it. It looked like a ball gown and was an off-the-shoulder, long sleeved dress. The design was intricate and exquisite and the ivory lace that adorned the bodice and the sleeves was graceful.

I looked like a princess just like the ones in the fairy tales. How ironic for every princess's fairy tale had a happy ending. But neither was this a fairy tale, nor was I a princess and even if I was Luca definitely wasn't my prince.

_________________________________________________________________________________

"Dearly beloved: we have gathered here today to witness the joining together of this man and this woman in Holy Matrimony. The bond and the covenant of marriage..." Father Abel continued to speak but I couldn't concentrate on his words. More like I didn't want to hear him speak.

Luca was holding my hands in his, lightly brushing his thumbs over them. He smiled at me when I looked up at him. He had never once taken his eyes off me ever since I had returned from the church room.