6. Farts and Fear

While practicing for her press conference Diana had one too many snacks to quell her nerves and now it seemed that plan was backfiring.

Farting butt?! Diana thought with horror behind the stoic expression on her face as she stepped into the hall, her tummy rumbled quietly as she walked stiffly to the stage, releasing ammonia gas with each stiff step she took. Not paying attention to where she was going, she stumbled on a the short side- step she was to climb to the stage but Liam- who had at some point she didn't notice joined her and a little train that had gathered behind her which included Lisa, Dan, an asian looking man and a pretty brunette lady- held her hand and steadied her.
Whispering a thank you, she walked up the steps and stepped in front of a podium with a small microphone attached to it. Opening her speech book, she placed it on the podium and looked up to the watching crowd,
"Evening everyone, my name is Diana Krimson, daughter of Christopher and Grace Krimson, the new CEO and chairlady of Scarlet Group" she started, thanking God her voice came out strong and clear, murmurings started in the hall but she didn't pay attention to it,
"As you all already know, i am a nineteen year old second year student of the University of California, Davis, studying business administration" She sighed as she read the programmed speech with no heart, closing the book she looked up and searched for her supporters in there- Lisa, who smiled warmly and nodded at her and Liam, who gave a sharp nod,
"I have no experience in my course or this new position that has being given to me, so I can only ask for your help to please guide me to make wise decisions, I'm still a student and do not want to drop out of school, so for now..." she shifted her gaze to Cole who was watching her with indifference although those beautiful eyes showed a light of respect and awe.
"... I would be asking Mr Cole Philips to be the interim CEO" she said still holding his gaze with determination, watching as surprise and confusion surfaced on his face.
"Until i've graduated from college, gained enough knowledge and experience to lead this establishment, I promise to work hard beginning from now till I leave this position and hope for your help, guide and co-operation. Thank you"
After giving a small bow, she looked up back to the crowd as they gave her a standing ovation. She smiled and left the stage as reporters began bombarding her with questions.

"Miss Diana, is it true that you're Mr Antonio's illegitimate child"
"No, it's not! I'm Mr and Mrs Krimson's legitimate daughter" she answered defensively.
"Why were you hidden from public for so long and just revealed now?"
"Is it true that you don't really know your parents, but was raised in an orphanage home?"
"Why did you give the interim post to Mr Cole?"
"Some pictures were revealed of you and Mr Cole together, are you dating?"
She froze at that and turned to the reporter that asked with a 'are-you-kidding-me-right-now' kind of look. Liam grabbed her and pulled her along to the elevator in the middle of bodyguards who were trying to ward off pestering reporters.

......
As she got to the floor her room was, she saw Dan leave her room and went in the opposite direction. Surprised but tired, she walked on, entered the room, "please wait for a moment" she said quickly, closed the door to Liam's face and ran to the toilet.

After using the toilet, she opened the door for Liam, walked back in and fell on the bed covering her blushing face on the white bed sheet which would no doubt become a mask of her  makeup.
Knowing what she went to do, Liam stood awkwardly in the room for a while before he noticed the gift box on the side table.
"What's this?" he asked as he took the box and then went to sit on the bed beside her, using her elbow to prop herself up and see what he was asking about,
"Oh! That was a gift from someone,I'm guessing Lisa. It was delivered before the conference but I didn't open it" she said with a smile as she pulled the box to her lap and removed its cover.
Blood draining off her face and a horrified expression replacing the tired smile on her face she looked at what was in the box. Liam quickly dragged the box from her lap, covered it back with its cover and placed it on the table.
"Are you alright? Talk to me?" he asked as her eyes darted without focus and she started to gasp for air.
Panicking Liam called Cole and Lisa to come, then started to pat her back while telling to breathe in and out.

Cole burst in and ran to Diana's side pushing Liam away and hugged her,
"Dee.. Dee, just breathe..in.. out, do you want to leave here?" she nodded as she hugged him tightly.
Carrying her in bridal style, he went to the staircase and started going down,
"why are you taking the staircase?" she asked quietly.
"So that we don't come across those pests"
"But it'll be tiring, I know have heavy weight"
"Since you know that, stop talking so that I can preserve the energy to carry you instead of replying, don't you think so?" he looked down at her, quirking an eyebrow.
Blushing she looked down, "drop me down, i can walk" she said, releasing her hand on his neck.
"really?" he replied and dropped her down... not quite gently, "my poor arms has to suffer from your weight, how are you going to take responsibility for this" he said with a straight face but a playful glint in his eyes.
Huffing as she started stomping down the stairs she called over her shoulder, "Last time I checked, I'm just forty five kg, you're the one who needs more working out!"
Cole smiled as he knew his plan to distract her to forget whatever just happened had worked.

.......
As they got back home, Diana thought back to what she had seen in the box, a bloodied pocket knife and a message written with blood,
Leave or die!
She shivered as a chill crept up her spine giving her goosebumps.
Who was it? Who wants to kill me? She thought as she walked slowly to her room.
Changing into a tank top and shorts, she climbed her bed but was too scared to sleep. She took her phone which she had forgotten at home and checked it.
13 missed calls! She checked the call history and saw that the calls were from Betty and Jay. Sending a group message to both of them,
Bes, I'm in New York for now, will be back soon, please contact me for any test, assignment or project. I have a lot to tell you guys, love ya!

After sending the message, she switched on her phone's wifi which turned out to have connection and started surfing the net.

By the time Lisa knocked at her door there were dark circles under her eyes, her eyes heavy with sleep,
"Come in"
"Good moo.. oo" Lisa jumped startled by the face looking at her.
"Dee! Don't tell me you did not sleep overnight"
With a shy smile, Diana looked at her with drooping eyes, "I couldn't sleep"
"Go wash up and come downstairs, the police are here to see you. After the meeting, you're going to office with Cole" Diana nodded and stumbled to the bathroom to wash up.
After about twenty minutes of questioning and assuring that they will catch the culprit by the police officers who came, Diana went back to her room and dressed up, wearing a light blue suit on a white silk shirt which was tucked in a black trousers and black kitten heels, her blonde hair in a loose ponytail. As she got out she saw Cole entering his car, waving him to stop, she walked quickly to the passenger side but as she reached out to open the door he started the engine and zoomed off.
"Cole! Wait!" she said to the dust he left behind.
"Come on let's go Dee" Lisa called as her car came in front of the door and both went to the office together.

Lisa led Diana to a private elevator and they took it to the last floor which had a secretary desk and three offices. Opening the door at the very end leading to a cool grand office with black marbled floors, glass walls, three office chairs and one black glass desk, a bookshelf at the side and two white leather sofas at two corners.
"Welcome to your office, Diana" Lisa said smiling and sweeping an arm in the air.