THE AFTERNOON TRAIN

Carrie drove home slowly. She was hoping that this whole ordeal was just a nightmare and she woud wake up by the sound of Wilbur's soft knock on the door telling her that the breakfast was ready. But of course it wasn't. This was some ordeal that she has to face. Telling someone a bad news is never easy especialy when it was someone close. Bette would be hurt and Carrie couldn't bear to see that.

Carrie found Bette and Emilia in Bette's room. Bette had put on her wedding dress and twirled while Emilia clapping and exclaimed happily. Bette looked beautiful in her wedding dress, which was making it so hard for Carrie to broke the news. But again, she had to.

"Carrie! I've been looking for you!" Exclaimed Bette and then twirled, "How do I look?"

"Exquisitely beautiful!" said Carrie.

"Aunt Bette, you are the most beautiful bride I've ever seen!" said Emilia.

"Thank you, dear." Bette turned to the mirror and inspect herself. She was indeed looking very exquisitely beautiful in her mother's wedding dress.

"Emilia sweetheart, could you give us a moment, please." Said Carrie.

"Why?" asked Emilia protesting.

"Just do, okay darling."

"Mom?" Emilia then understood that her mother was about to have some serious news for Bette so she obidienlty left.

Bette looked at Carrie with fear. She had the feeling that Carrie came to talked about something bad and she was so not ready to hear it.

"Bette, my advice earlier this morning, it was stupid," Carrie began, hoping that Bette would soon picked up her meaning.

Bette's eyes were started to watering. Yes, Bette did pick up Carrie's meaning immediately. "Do you know something?"

"Bette, I'm...I'm sorry..." said Carrie studdered. She didn't know how to continued her words.

"Tell me everything, Carrie, please," said Bette and then fell to the floor with her hands over her face, she started to cry.

"It was an affair," said Carrie and then plunged into a narrative that once told by Emilia and Joan and then Veronica.

Bette felt like her heart was stabbed and then ripped apart, it hurt so much. She couldn't breath, she couldn't think, all she could managed was a sob. Carrie fell on the floor and hugged Bette tightly as if she could transfer Bette's pain by hugging her tightly.

"They ran off together?" asked Bette.

"Yes, dear. They deserved each other! They are an inconsiderate people! Not worthy of you, Bette dear."

"I thought he loved me! I thought I was his only one. I just thought...Oh Carrie, it hurts..." Bette cried even louder.

"Bette dear, I'm here for you. I'll never go away."

"Carrie, I just need to be alone right now. Could you, please leave me alone."

"Bette,"

"Please, Carrie."

"Alright,"

And then it was Bette all alone with her grieved and her tears clutching on to her wedding dress that was now have tears stained on the skirt. Her head felt like it was going to explode because she couldn't just figured out the reason for George to ran away with another woman. Was it her fault? Maybe she didn't give what the other woman could, but what was it? What she couldn't give? She gave everything! And how could George be so cruel to just ran off like that without at least giving her some closure, some explanation.

Without even thinking about it, Bette drove to the train station. She didn't know if she could still catch George before he went on the train but if she didn't catch George, then she would have to take the next train and follow him to Bidston Hill. She had to see it with her own eyes that George really was betraying her and if he indeed betrayed her, she needed to know the reason. She wanted closure.

It was very easy to spotted George sitting in a bench by the platform number three, waiting for the train. She walked towards the bench then she could see that another head was resting on George's broad shoulder, it was a head of a woman. They were sitting side by side.

"George," Bette said.

"Bette!" exclaimed George and then jerked up surprisingly from the bench.

Bette looked deep at George and now she could see clearly who was the woman that resting her head on George's shoulder, it was indeed Annemarie, whose husband just been buried that day. Bette's heart palpitated with anger and sadness. It was hurtfull.

"How could you?" Bette managed in between sob. Out of the blue she slapped George and then punched him in the chest over and over again but George had managed to held Bette's hands tight.

Bette struggled,

"How could you George! What did I ever do to you that make you hate me so much! You said you love me but you didn't even have the decency to come clean to me! What am I to you? You proposed to me and now you ran away with another woman! What did she give you that I didn't? I want to know! Explain to me! Explain to me!" shouted Bette.

"I'm sorry, Bette."

"You hurt me, George! You hurt me! What did I ever do to you! I loved you but you hurt me! Why? Explain to me!" shouted Bette but this time her voice got swallowed by the sound of the afternoon train.

"I'm sorry, Bette," that was all George could say and then he let go of Bette's hand and reached out for Annemarie's and led her to embarked on the train.

Bette fell to her knees and crying histerycally. She could see George and Annemarie, hand in hand, entering the afternoon train, going to their happily ever after, to the future that was once promised for her and she was left on a cold station floor crying for her lost.

Thief only come to steal and she had stolen from Bette her chance of happiness without Bette even realized it. She was once happy but now she was hurt. Crying alone in the train station.

If you think this is a sad story, then you might be wrong because for George and Annemarie it is a happy story. They have found each other, they have fought to be with each other, and now they are on their way to happy ever after even though they have left trails of tears and death behind them.

For Bette and Donald Ramsay this is a sad and tragic story. The story where they don't even know that they have been cheated out of their chance of happiness. George and Annemarie had steal the only sun shine in their sky, leaving it dark and hollow.

There are always many side of every story, it is depending on how we look at it. This could be a happy ending or tragic ending. But nevertheless, life goes on.

~The End~