Chapter 17

Panic!

It was the only thing that made sense and damn did Naruto panic. His breathing became restricted and he gripped the letter while staring around his room. Konan and Pein were here.

Konan and Pein were in his room.

In Konoha.

How the fuck did they get in?! Naruto's mind screamed out as he quickly shoved the last of his things into his bag and quickly made his escape. Not only did Naruto not feel safe in his own apartment but his mind was buzzing.

Even after he swore to Pein that he would do everything he could to end the hatred and war, he was feeling like a bit of a hypocrite because right now, simply knowing that Pein was anywhere near Konoha, near his godfather drove him completely insane. Things were progressing sooner and faster than he expected.

But they were progressing and that was all that mattered and why the fuck did Pein give him this information? To undermine his own organization? What did he know? What didn't he know? Did Itachi inform him or did Pein inform Itachi?

So many questions and absolutely no answers.

He got to Kakashi's apartment complex and dropped down onto the landing in front of the apartment. He tapped upon it and waited, his eyes darting all around him as if he were ready to see one of the many Paths of Pein coming toward him.

The door jerked open and Kakashi let him in. Instantly, the man knew something was wrong. Naruto slipped off the bracelet and then wordlessly handed him the letter.

Kakashi had his mask off and was wearing loose fitting blue pajama bottoms and a black sleeveless shirt. Naruto glanced at the ANBU tattoo marked on his bicep and quirked his lip, Kakashi really was nice to look at, huh? He thought trying to take his mind off the letter.

"Who is this from?"

"Pein," Naruto whispered. "He and Konan were in my room, they were in Konoha, and so close to my godfather…"

Kakashi saw the panic and set the letter aside.

"Things are happening fast, the first time it took three years before they made their move and now it's not even a year later. I'm not ready, Kakashi, I don't want to face him or any of them again, not yet!"

Kakashi grabbed Naruto by the shoulders. "Look at me."

Naruto obeyed and swallowed. "I'm sorry – I-"

"Just hush," Kakashi commanded quietly. "Take a deep breath."

Naruto did and bowed his head. "Fate seems to be toying with me."

"Then we'll toy back," Kakashi said simply.

"I don't – want anything to happen to you guys."

"It won't."

Naruto swallowed the lump in his throat, Kakashi sat him down. "Did you read the letter clearly?"

Naruto nodded leaning against Kakashi's shoulder. "I know what it said, it's just the simple fact that he was here, he got into Konoha…"

"I know and we'll figure that out later, right now you need to calm down and look at the bigger picture, Naruto. Panicking isn't going to solve anything," Kakashi said pulling the forehead protector off while at the same time taking the band out of his hair. He preferred it when Naruto's hair lay free against his shoulders unrestricted.

"You're right," Naruto murmured. Just Kakashi's mere presence made him feel better, his heart slowed down to a steadier median. He would deal with this later; it couldn't be too bad could it? Pein gave him information, however tainted it was.