thirty two

Liam practically rams into Stiles and me as we enter the school.

"Woah there, little wolf. You good?" Stiles says, regaining his footing.

"Sorry," Liam stutters, his eyes falling on me. "Is Scott with you?"

I shake my head no and watch Liam breathe out heavily. "He'll probably be coming soon," I add.

The halls are loud with rambunctious teenage boys, getting out all their pre-game jitters. I see them yelling, running, body-slamming. It's a jungle.

Liam won't stop asking about Scott. "But where is he? What if he's in trouble?"

I hesitate to follow them into the boy's locker room. After all, it's is for boys. Then I remember this is Beacon Hills, and you know, things don't really make sense in Beacon Hills. I walk in.

"Everything is fine." Stiles answers Liam reassuringly. "I got a text from him this morning saying he's might be a little late."

"How late is late?" Liam presses. "Is he always late? We're playing Devenford Prep again, and this time it's an actual game. H-He shouldn't be late!"

I look between the both of them, seeing Stiles stutter for words. Liam's eyes are big with worry.

A sudden voice comes from behind us.

"Who shouldn't be late?" Coach questions, sounding confused. "And last time I checked this is a boy's locker room, little McCall."

We all look around uneasily. Coach is waiting for an answer. Liam takes a deep breath before answering, "Scott and Kira."

"Might be slightly late." Stiles adds quickly, putting a reassuring hand out to Coach.

Coach's face twists as he stutters. "Slightly late is still late! What are they doing?"

An awkward silence hangs in the air. I look away casually, pretending to be interesting in a nearby poster.

Stiles speaks up, "They're doing something that's gonna make them slightly late."

I almost chuckle at his blatant awkwardness but quickly swallow it down. Coach is getting furious.

"What could Scott and Kira be doing right now that's more important than playing in the first game?"

I cover my hand with my hand to keep from giggling. Liam stares at the ground. Stiles simply squints straight ahead. We exchange glances. Coach raises an eyebrow. Stiles mutters, "Oh Coach,"

He simply rolls his eyes and wanders away, uttering words under his breath. I laugh and check the time on my phone. It's 5:06. How late is Scott gonna be?

The locker room fills with more boys every second. Some give me weird glances but most just ignore me. But it does get a bit awkward when the clothes start coming off. One guy even winks at me after taking his shirt off. I have to clench Liam's wrist to soothe him.

Somebody taps my shoulder and I turn around to meet Mason's eyes. "Hey!" I smile.

"Hey. We should probably go get seats now, they're filling up fast." Mason nods at me.

I agree and start to get up from the bench I was sitting on, slightly grateful to get out of the smelly locker room. We say goodbye to Liam and head out the door that leads to the field.

Mason was right. The bleachers are filling up fast with people. We manage to squeeze into the front row.

The sky is getting darker and darker. Soon the field lights will have to go on. The air is kind of chilly but it's not too bad. The metal is cold underneath me.