twenty three

"What the hell happened on Friday?"

Mason's question makes both me and Liam exchange concerned glances.

The bell rings as if on cue, kids piling into the classroom one after another. Everyone's tired faces reflect the dreaded Monday morning.

"Well, it's complicated." Liam replies dazedly, biting his lip. Mason squints and shakes his head. He doesn't seem convinced.

"Jessica?" He asks, knowing I'm a terrible liar. I simply look down at my desk and shrug. Liam rubs his neck and stares at me.

Mason lets out a sarcastic chuckle. "Whatever."

He turns back in his seat and stares straight ahead. Liam looks guilty, like he's on the verge of admitting everything to Mason. But he knows he can't. Not yet, at least.

Class continues on. Mason basically avoids eye contact the whole time, while Liam and I periodically share worried glances. We know we're slowly losing our best friend. But one day, he will understand everything. But we have to tell him when the time is right.

When the bell rings at the end of class, Mason simply gathers his stuff and walks out the room ahead of Liam and I.

"This sucks." I say to Liam, as the sight of a fuming Mason disappears in the hall. Liam nods and breathes out heavily.

"I wish I could tell him." He says, his voice cracking a bit. I turn so I'm fully facing him. Our eyes connect.

"Scott won't want you to." I tell him. Liam looks at the ground. I start walking again and he follows.

The classroom is empty when we come to it. Liam sits down quickly and runs his hand through his hair. I set myself down in my seat and he looks at me.

"We've almost died like ten times," He says, giving me a tired smile.

I roll my eyes at him. "Really? I didn't notice."

"This past couple months has been more exciting than all fifteen years of my life combined." Liam realizes, his blue eyes locking with mine. My heart can't help but skip a beat. Gosh, I could stare at him all day.

"Yeah, me too." I admit, mimicking his smirk. He doesn't break his gaze and I feel my insides twist. His jawline, holy crap, his hair, his lips,

I don't even notice how close he's gotten to me before I find myself pressing my lips against his. He kisses back almost instantly and I find myself melting against him like every time. The cheap metal chairs screech against the floor as we lean in closer and closer.

Liam's hands graze my flowy shirt lightly. Everything around us seems to have disappeared. Wow, I could kiss him forever-

"Liam Dunbar! Jessica McCall!"

I snap back, my chair falling back onto all fours with a loud crash. Liam practically tumbles over his desk as he settles himself back.

Mrs. Wichlet (known in our school as "The Witch) stands before us. Her thin-wire electric blue glasses sit so low on her nose I'm sure they're about to fall, her rat-like eyes peering at us from behind. The greasy gray sheet she calls hair is pulled back into a painfully tight low bun. She wears a totally-outdated skirt and blouse over her frail frame.

She glares at us. My face goes the same shade as her cheap oily red lipstick. She's practically infamous for handing out detentions and various other punishments for PDA. I heard a rumor that she suspended two kids for holding hands in the bus loop.