eight

Sirens ring out in the distance, startling Liam and me. We stand together against the side of the bleachers.

"Is it safe to go now?" I question, grabbing his arm and pulling him along behind me. The school is crawling with both adults and kids when we arrive.

Liam grabs ahold of my waist and keeps me beside him as we push our way through the crowds. Coach is yelling at a small group of boys, "If anyone sees Garrett, notify the police immediately. Then tell him he's off the damn team."

I hear Scott's voice and we stop walking. He's talking to my dad. My dad, always too busy for both me and Scott.

"Dad really, I'm okay," Scott says in an insisting tone. Liam and I stand behind a wall, out of their sights.

"No, I should've been here. I said I would be at the games," My dad replies sadly. I drop my head. That's basically all that comes out of his mouth. Empty promises. I feel Liam lift his head and look at me. I keep my gaze on the ground.

"Well this was just a pre season scrimmage. I didn't even tell you about it."

"I promised your mom I' d be around, so she can pick up more shifts at the hospital. I should have been here." My dad continues. I start to pick at my fingernails.

"You're here now," Scott replies. I turn away and lean against the wall. Liam follows.

Our shoulders touch and I sneak a glance at his face. He looks worried, almost scared. Then I have to remind myself that I am probably more worried and scared than him.

I haven't hear my dad or Scott's voice. I gesture to Liam and he peeks out. Then he walks out and into Scott.

Scott looks between the both of us. "Where's Kira?" He asks worriedly.

"She took off." Liam explains. "Stiles told her about Lydia cracking the second part of the dead pool."

Scott glances at me with wide eyes. He doesn't know I know about the dead pool. And he probably doesn't want me to. "I know." I say softly. He clenches his teeth.

"Her mom's on it," Scott turns his attention back to Liam.

"Everyone's on it." Liam says, concerned.

"You're not." Scott tells him quickly. Liam shifts his feet.

"Not yet. Still another third right?"

Scott lifts his head suddenly and gazes past us. I know that look. He hears something. Liam and I look at each other. Then we follow his gaze back to my dad. He's talking to Violet, presumably the murderer. She's being held back by the Sheriff and another officer. I see Liam strain his ears to listen.

My dad says something to her and her face grows cold. Then they pull her away. My dad mumbles something to the Sheriff. Liam and Scott exchange worried glances.

"We need to go to Garrett's gym locker." Scott decides. "There may be something in there that can help us."

I'm not sure if he meant 'we' as in me, him, and Liam, or 'we' as in him and Liam. He doesn't clarify, so I just go along with it. At least  I have an alpha and a beta to protect me.

Liam nods and Scott turns around to start walking. We follow.

We pass the Sheriff, in an office looking through some files. He must have a hard job, really. Especially here in Beacon Hills. He glances up at me and gives me a small nod. Like Chris, he's always been like a substitute dad for me and Scott. We've known Stiles forever, so we've grown close to him over the years.