Working Progress

Sorry for such a long hiatus, but I'm back. At this point, this book will change for the better (spoiler alert). Merry Christmas everybody. Just a quick update for y'all. 

Ebony walked to Rosewood Park at noon, leaves crunching underneath her feet. It was officially fall season. Ebony didn't care too much for fall. The only thing she liked from fall was the clothing, Thanksgiving and festivals. She didn't like fall weather. She didn't like any kind of weather that was relatively cold. She preferred the summer time. 

Dylan texted her asking to meet at the park. She agreed. She felt like she needed to apologize to him. It was strange that her weird dream encounter led her to a humble realization. Ebony knew she had to work on her self-esteem issues. 

The cool breeze lightly touched her face as she traveled along the sidewalk. She'd never taken walks alone, but she was surprisingly enjoying this one. It allowed her to clear her mind and think things through. Her iPod buzzed in her coat pocket. She received a new message. 

Dylan: I'm here. Wya?

She quickly replied stating she'd make it there shortly. She quickly figured he must've drove to the park if he made it that quickly within a five minute time frame. 

Ebony rushed to get dressed. She threw together a presentable outfit that was suitable enough for the windy day. Her hair was in a high ponytail with a four-day old twistout. A black scarf decorated her neck. Her long sleeve white shirt and dark denim jeans was shielded by a long button up coat. A pair of black huaraches complimented the entire outfit. She was trying to become more fashionable. 

Dylan sat on a bench waiting for Ebony to arrive. He didn't understand why she flipped out on him at school. However, he was ecstatic and surprised that she accepted his offer to meet up. He really liked her. It threw him off that the more he expressed his feelings for her, the more she pushed him away. It complicated him. At one point, he thought they were making progress. He could've sworn she liked him back at least once. 

Unfortunately, Dylan didn't check the weather before he left the house. It was a sunny day, so he expected it to be warm. The cool breeze sent shivers through his body. Dylan was almost sure he would be sick after this meeting, so he hoped it would be successful. 

He wore a short sleeve, blue and white plaid button up. He wore a pair of denim jean shorts with blue and white Air Max. He looked nice but definitely not dressed for the appropriate season. 

Ebony approached him. She smiled at him but he didn't return the favor. Feeling rejected, she frowned. 

"What's your problem recently? Seriously, you are throwing off with the lack of rationality and emotions. Do you have bipolar disorder that you just so happened not to tell me about?" Dylan blurted, breaking the silence. Ebony rolled her eyes. 

"No. And honestly, I don't know. I don't know why I was acting that way."

"What? So you just randomly decided one day that you would just flip out and act like a crazy person? Does that make any sense to you?"

"Why are you grilling me? Who pissed in your cereal?" Ebony shot back. 

"You're throwing me off. You act crazy. And honestly, it makes it hard to even be around you at times. You need to cut the bullshit and get it together." 

"Don't curse at me."

"Don't act like you need to be cursed at." Dylan replied. Ebony squinted her eyes at him. 

"Who are you? It's like I don't know you anymore."

"I don't know. It seems like we both changed, huh?" 

"You know what? Fuck this. Go back and play with your whore Gloria." Ebony declared, walking away. 

"I don't talk to her. You and I both know that, so let's not take it there." Dylan said, following her. 

"Yes you do. But you know what? It's obvious that you don't care about me anymore. I thought you were cool. I thought you were different. But no, I was wrong. You judge me, just like everyone else." Ebony spat, fighting back tears. 

"No. You're wrong. Ebony-"

"What?! Why do you even care?! You don't even know what I've been through! Why do you even try so hard, pretending to care so much? You're not even my boyfriend. Just get away from me!" Ebony shouted, crying. 

"Because I do care. I care because...well..I like you a lot." Dylan admitted. 

"Wait, what?" Ebony was confused. 

"I've been liking you for a while. I thought you knew. I thought we were building something together. The more I tried, the more you pushed me away. I want you, Ebony. In a way that's more than friends." 

"Dylan, I-" Ebony started. 

"Just please tell me you like me back. If not, just let me leave."

"I, I do. I just can't be in a relationship right now. I can't do it." Ebony said, bawling her eyes out. She honestly didn't know why she was crying so hard. Maybe the truth was hurting her. 

"Please, Ebony. Be mine. I want you. Only you. Nobody else. I can't do this anymore. I want us to be together. Just tell me how you feel about me. I need to know." Dylan declared. 

"I like you too. But let's just take it slow. I'm not ready to be in love. I need to work on things. I need to fix myself first." 

"Okay. Well, then I'll see you later at school then." Dylan gave Ebony a hug. He wiped her tears then walked to leave the park. 

Ebony felt bad. She hoped she didn't hurt his feelings, but it was the truth. She needed to work on her feelings and relationships with others. She was a working progress. Before she could allow to love someone else, she needed to amend the love with the ones closest to her. 

This chapter might be weird, but it'll get better. Plus, I have EXTREMELY busy lately so excuse the overdue update. Working and going to school is difficult. And finals is coming up soon so please be patient everyone. Hope y'all enjoyed. EXCUSE ANY MISTAKES.