Calm Before the Storm

Black drowned the church as Edna's funeral service was being held. Soft sobs echoed and sniffles escaped from each person. Edna's mahogany colored casket sat open. She looked more peaceful as she ever did from before.

Ebony sat in the front row next her to mother and Apryl. Tameka weeped hysterically as she held the balled up tissue to her nose. Tears raced down Apryl's face as she averted her attention to the pastor speaking a few beautiful words.

"Edna was such a wonderful woman. She had such a vibrant personality. Everyone knew she loved her family unconditionally. Her daughters, her granddaughters, everyone. She even volunteered to the community, giving to others. The upcoming generation of children is definitely missing out on such an extraordinary women, but she would not have wanted us to cry behind her. She would want us to celebrate her life." He remarked. Ebony nodded.

She opened the obituary sitting in her lap and glanced at the pictures that had been placed in the inside of it. Pictures of Edna and her mother, pictures of Edna and Tameka as a baby, pictures of Edna, Tameka and Parish on Tameka's prom night. Ebony studied the picture hard.

They all looked so happy. Tameka looked stunning in her purple satin spaghetti strapped prom dress with younger sister Parish and proud mother Edna behind both of them. All their smiles looked genuine and identical.

Ebony was surprised to see a picture of she and Edna in there. It was when Ebony graduated from fifth grade. Ebony remembered that Edna hot combed her hair earlier that morning and burnt the back of her ear.

Ebony wore a cute, layered light pink dress and diamond studs. Edna wore a beige colored dress, which hung to her curves. It was quite clear this picture had been taken before Edna had gotten sick, but regardless, she looked gorgeous.

Ebony didn't even realize that she had been crying. She prayed every night and asked God to watch over her and take good care of Edna. Usually, Ebony and Edna prayed together, but Ebony didn't want to stop just because Edna was gone. She wanted to continue praying and counting her blessings.

Ebony looked at the casket. It broke her heart to see Edna laying there. Instead, she wanted to laugh with her. To have Edna tell her she's beautiful. To pray with her. To talk about personal issues with. Edna was almost like a best friend to Ebony, and so many things they discussed will stand out to Ebony.

'Granny, can't you see me? Can you not see me crying for you? Can you not hear my soft sobs of sorrow? Can you not feel my heart shattering to pieces? Do you not know how much I yearn for your touch? For your presence? Your voice? Why did you have to go?' Ebony asked mentally, hoping Edna wouls hear it in heaven. Without warning, Ebony weeped loudly.

"Sshhh, it's okay, babygirl. It's gonna be okay." Tameka comforted Ebony, holding her close. Tameka's voice trembled, due to her crying. Ebony cried louder, latching to her mother.

Why had Edna gone? Why did she have to go? Ebony wanted her to stay and be here. Ebony knew humans were mortal, but when you lose someone who holds significant value to you, it takes a huge effect on you.

"So, next, we have a few kind words from Miss Ebony Brooks, Edna's granddaughter." The pastor announced. Everyone clapped as he stepped from the podium. Ebony's heart raced a mile a minute. She prayed she didn't go up there and stammer or be frozen with fear.

"Go ahead, babygirl." Tameka motivated, rubbing Ebony's back. Ebony gave her a weak smile and rose up from her seat. Edna's lifeless body sat in front of the podium. Ebony's stomach turned. She pulled the written speech out of her pocket and placed it on the podium. The pastor stood behind her and gave her a thumbs up.

"Okay. Uh, good morning, everyone." Ebony greeted. She looked among the sea of black and was met with many of sad faces. She looked down and got an aerial view of Edna. Her stomach turned yet again.