Face to Face

Thanks to everyone for 100k reads! I finally made it! Also, this book will be coming to an end shortly unfortunately :( Sorry for the delays but school is a bitch rn and i had writer's block. Excuse any errors. This was a rushed chapter. 

Ebony sat on her bed, flipping through a scrapbook of pictures. Each photograph captured a part of her life she wished she could jump back in time to. Most of those times were moments spent with her dad. There was one photo in particular that caught her attention. 

It was a photo of Ebony and her dad having a fun day at a local fair. Ebony looked no younger than five years old. She had the biggest smile on her face. She was dressed in a purple and black windbreaker with blue jeans and black tims on her face. Her hair was styled into twists with red barrettes at the end. She looked like a quintessential black toddler in the 90s. She held a stick of pink cotton candy in her hand. 

Her dad was grinning, showing off his deep dimples. His deep brown eyes complimented his rich cocoa skin. That was one trait about her dad Ebony loved the most. Every one in her family had that complexion, but it was hard to tell which complexion trait she received it from since everyone's skin had its own unique shade of chocolate. 

He wore a plaid button up with a gold watch on his wrist. Baggy jeans and a pair of light brown timbs finished off his outfit. Now it was easier to tell this photo was definitely taken in the early 2000s. His hair was in a low cut with waves. Ebony had to admit that her dad was very handsome. She could definitely see why her mom fell in love with him, besides his extravagant personality. 

They looked so happy together. Too bad neither one of them would know that in the next year, Ebony's dad would be dead. If anyone went back in time to warn them, no one would even believe them. They would brush it off. 'No way. You're lying. Go away.' Ebony imagined their reaction. She would do anything to go back in time to feel his love again, even if she couldn't prevent the death from happening. 

She flipped the photo to the back. She read the handwriting on the back. She recognized right away that it was her mother's. Baby Ebby and Bryan. April 29, 2002. My two babies. Ebony's heart fluttered. She didn't even want to imagine the pain her mother felt losing the love of her life. 

Even though Ebony didn't remember too much about her parents' relationship back then, she could imagine them being the happiest couple ever. She couldn't imagine them arguing or anything. Even Tameka said she rarely argued if they ever did. They always worked together to solve any problems and always to please each other. 

Ebony thrived for a love like that. A love that's unconditional. A love that was true. An undying love. A genuine love. That old school love. Through thick and thin type love. She always imagined her future husband. Would her love her the same way her dad loved her mom? Would he accept her, flaws and all? Or would he leave her, riding off into the sunset into the arms of another woman?

Ebony escaped her train of thoughts when a light tap knocked on her bedroom door. Who could it possibly be? She glanced at the clock on her nightstand. 3:09 AM. Everyone else was asleep. Maybe..she was just being delusional. She continued flipping through the book. 

"Hey baby. I knew you weren't asleep. I thought something was wrong with you." The voice said quietly, peeking into her bedroom door. Ebony froze. There was no way in hell this could be real life. It was utterly impossible. 

Bryan walked into her room and closed the door. He grinned politely and sat next to Ebony. She stared at him wide-eyed, not believing what she saw. 

"What's up?" He asked, looking down at the photograph in her hand. He chuckled. "You don't remember that day? We were at the fair. You had a ball. I did too. Too bad your mom didn't. She threw up getting on one of the rides. She was so mad at me because I begged her to get on. 

She took this picture of us. I remember we waited long and hard for a week for this photo to develop. I don't know why, but I felt like this was so significant to me. Maybe I just like this picture so much. It's so cute. My favorite picture of us two."

Ebony couldn't even speak. She was lost for words. Was her dad really talking to her? He stared into her eyes. 

"Wow, look at my big baby. You so beautiful, baby girl. I swear you look more like me each day. You inherited all the good looking traits from me." Bryan joked. 

"Dad?" Ebony called out. 

"What's wrong? Why you look like you saw a ghost or something?"

"You...you were gone..."

"Gone where? I never left. I'm still here. Well, at least not physical but spiritually. I was always here. Always will be." Bryan clarified. He exhaled slowly.

"I understand you're stressed. The house is all crazy, Ms. Edna is gone, those issues at school and with that boy. I understand." Ebony looked at him.

"Oh you thought I didn't know? Yeah, I saw y'all. Just give him a chance. He's not playing you. He's a sweet guy. He's really into you. It's a shame you can't see it. 

Stop downplaying yourself. You're not ugly, babygirl. Just because you're dark doesn't mean anyway. I am surrounded by beautiful, strong dark skin women. None of them are ugly. Not one. Neither are you. I don't make ugly babies. Trust and believe that.

You have that confidence within. You can't look for everyone else's validation on your beauty. You are beautiful. It's up to you to believe that about yourself. Stop playing yourself for them little girls at your school. They are jealous of you. You are an ever-glowing star. What they see in you is what you fail to see in yourself. 

You are beautiful, intelligent and have a family who loves you dearly. They uplift you so much. I understand where you come from. I mean, back in the day, light skin brothers were in style. That didn't make me ugly. Not one bit. 'Cause I'm not. I know I'm handsome. 

I know it seems easier said that done,but you gotta figure it out. Stop walking around with your head hanging down. Find that inner confidence. And give that guy a chance. I promise you. He's good for you. And if you two decide to date, always remember you are my babygirl." Bryan preached to Ebony. He pulled her into a tight hug. Ebony embraced him. She felt so safe and loved. 

Ebony popped up, startled by the sound of her alarm clock. She had to go to church, but she wasn't feeling it. Her pillowcase had tear stains on it. Her covers were pushed off the bed. Her satin scarf fell off of her head. 'That was such a weird dream.' Ebony commented. 

Her iPod buzzed on her nightstand. She received a text notification. She groaned and read the message. 

Dylan: Can you meet me at Rosewood Park @1p.m. today? We need to talk. 

Ebony rolled her eyes. She was still upset with him, but she remembered what her dad told her in the dream. It was just a dream. Sometimes dream could just be reflections of shit going on in your life. There's no way that dream was real. 

She had no reason to talk to him. For what? She made it quite obvious last time they spoke that she didn't want to be bothered. Ebony didn't feel like linking up, 

Ebony: Sure 

But she did it anyways.