Chapter 17: Naked!

Start from the beginning

Draco's lips deceive him in smiling at her when she'd declared him her friend.

"What?" She chuckles.

"I'd never have thought we'd ever be friends." He mentions heading into the living room.

Hermione laughs again. "You're right. After everything that happened at Hogwarts before the war, I'd have been surprised if we even talked to each other. Now look at us." She motioned between them both.

Draco nods. She's right. If it wasn't for the fact they had been paired together, he highly doubts he would have struck up a conversation with her unless absolutely necessary. He places the bag on the coffee table along with the other bags he had returned from Diagon alley with. It's then he remembers the little baby owl he bought. He spins around to face Hermione, blocking her view off the cage.

"I went to visit my Mother today." He mentions, watching intently as Hermione's face furrows into a frown. "Her present to me was permission to take any book from the attic. I had another look through the piles of books but couldn't find anything on marriage decrees or laws but I did find these book on dark magic I thought you might be interested in reading them." He mentions, producing the books from behind his back.

"Oh... er... thank you. Although, usually, you receive presents on your birthday, not give them." She chuckles.

"I also bought a few things for myself in Diagon Alley." He adds just as the baby owl chirps behind him.

Hermione frowns at him. "What did you buy?" She asks in a warning tone.

"Well actually, this one is more of a joint present for the both of us." He turns around to retrieve the owl from its perch in the cage.

He encases it in his hand before turning around. Hermione stares down at his hand. She looks rather nervous, leaning away slightly.

"What's in your hand, Draco?" She asks, taking a step back.

"I bought us an owl." He says opening his hand carefully to reveal the tiny baby owl.

She steps forward in awe, staring at the little creature. "He's so cute." She coos, reaching her hand out to ruffle the owl's feathers.

"She." Draco corrects. "Also, be careful, she's completely blind." He adds.

Hermione halts her hand just above the owls head.

"You bought a blind owl?" She asks giving him a confused stare.

"Yes, I thought you could name her." He tells her, taking hold of her hand and turning it palm up before placing the tin owl in her hand.

"Oh." She mutters as the baby owl shakes its feather's out then snuggles down into her palm for a nap.

He watches as Hermione gently strokes the top of the owl's head with her index finger before placing her gently back into her cage.

"Athena," Hermione announces as he rummages in his bags for the books he bought.

"What?" He asks as he pulls the books out then walks over to their bookshelf to add them to their collection.

"I think we should call her Athena." She explains.

Draco turns around to find her staring at the little owl, asleep in its cage.

"Athena." He says testing it out. "I think it suits her." He adds.

They both stand, staring at Athena for a few moments before Hermione turns to face him.

"What time will you be cooking dinner for?" She asks.

"It should be ready for around half six. Are you still going to visit Ron?" He asks a hint of venom in his voice that he hopes she didn't catch.