"Looking for a place?" Nick asked suddenly. "I'm sitting over there. Wanna come join me?" He pointed over to a table with a coffe cup laying on it, as well as a chocolate doughnut and some napkins.

"Uh, actually-"

"Really. I don't mind," he insisted. He seemed so different; I almost didn't even recognize him.

"Nick, that's very nice of you, but-"

"Please. I miss talking to you." He looked at me with his puppy eyes, begging for me to stay.

"Fine," I said after a few seconds, trying to hide my frustration with a sigh. Honestly, I just wanted to get this over with. If everything goes well, he'll leave me alone, hopefully. "But just for a few minutes. I'm on a hurry."

A grin appeared on his lips as he nodded, mumbling a soft "okay". I ordered some coffee for Josh (if you like Starbucks, you can pretend you got some for yourself, too). After I took the coffee, I sat down on Nick's table, staring at him cautiously. He only smiled at me, pretending to not notice my glare.

"So, how've you been lately? Anything interesting?" he asked almost immediately, leaning forward and trying to show as much interest as possible.

"I've been fine, and no, I guess nothing that interesting has happened," I lied with a small shrug. There was no use in telling him about the tour and Josh now being my boyfriend. Besides, I wanted to end this conversation as soon as possible.

"Hm, okay," he let out, giving a light nod. "Are you still working with photography and all that stuff?"

"Uh, yeah," I replied, looking down at my hands to avoid eye contact with him. "I am."

"That's nice. What have you been taking photos of?" he questioned, trying to get me to look at him.

This sounds more of like an interrogation than a small talk.

"Um, you know... the usual, I guess. Sometimes, I'll take pictures of... nature and stuff," I answered quietly. Again, I lied, but I really wanted to get this over with.

"Ah. I bet they're beautiful," he complimented. "Just like you."

"Nick," I started.

"[Name], I know you may be mad at me still, and I honestly don't blame you, but I just want you to know that I've changed," he interrupted. "I still love you, and I never wanted to lose you. I promise, I'm not the man I was three years ago."

There it is.

I knew it. I knew that all he wanted was for me to forgive him and be his girlfriend again. Why I didn't ignore him earlier, I don't know, and I'm starting to really regret not doing so. This is just great. Now I have to tell him I'm not interested without making him mad.

Why did I ever agree to sit down at his table and talk to him, anyways?

"Nick, I know you may have changed, and that's great," I started. "But... I don't think this'll work out. I mean, I've been busier than ever, and-"

"Oh, don't worry about that. You can quit your job. I'll take care of the money. [Name], we can make this work, trust me," he insisted.

"Nick, I have a boyfriend," I almost growled. "I'm sorry, but I'm not interested. This won't work out."

"Wait, you have a boyfriend?" he asked, almost sounding hurt. Realization slowly started to sink in as he remembered the last encounter we had. "It was the guy that was with you at the ice cream shop, wasn't it?"

"Yes, now, please, leave me alone. I am not interested in being your girlfriend, and I never will be. I'm sorry, Nick, but that's how things are," I said. "Goodbye."