This particular female, Nneka was a very strong favourite of Ikenna's and was the Alpha Female of the family. She, herself, was deeply respected by the community and even the most rambunctious member knew to watch their actions around her. She was the only one who could handle the hormonal and temperamental teenage males, who liked throwing their weight around more than they should. Many times, it would take nothing more than a swift glare to put them back in their place. Nneka had raised many children over here lifetime, some remained in the community while others ventured off to find their own families in this vast forest. Like Ikenna, she was fairly elderly but still able to keep up with the youngsters and keep them in line. But while Nneka was seen as a kind aunt or grandmother to many of the younger generation, she had a particular attachment to infants and it had been almost nine years since years since her previous baby. Her youngest child, a young and somewhat foolish male, loved nothing more than to show off in front of the older and more serious members of the group, trying to prove himself to be as powerful as his father but many of these attempts ended the same way; with him running back to his mother screaming and begging her to lick his wounds. While she still adored her son, he was getting older and needed to learn how to defend himself against the others. And he'd better mature quickly, as Nneka had other matters to think of and prepare for. She was heavily pregnant, and was due to give birth any day now.

Ikenna greeted her warmly, hugging her tightly. He had a deep love for Nneka as the pair had known each other ever since they met in their adolescent years when he first found her alone, starved and hurt after presumably being lost from her own community. They had a deep bond that had lasted since that day and the pair were hardly ever apart, except for whenever Nneka went off to do her own scavenging. Many of the others within the family did this too, but Ikenna always worried whenever she left. Anything could happen to her out there...

For the next few days, everything was peaceful apart from the occasional squabbles and bickering which always came with families. Ikenna led his troupe deep through the winding undergrowth of the jungle, ever searching for fresh fruit, leaves and nuts.

One day, the troupe were foraging on the forest floor, searching for any of the sour fruit that may have fallen from the many trees stretching above them. The trees were beginning to lose their fruit as the days swiftly grew colder with each passing night. Many of the females were cracking nuts using stones, much to the younger chimps' interest as they tried -and some failed- to mimic this behaviour. Ikenna was on his feet and upon a rock, over-looking his group as he munched on the fruit that he had been able to gather, and it was quite a sizable haul he had collected for himself. Being the biggest and most dominant does have its privileges, although it did not stop a couple of hopeful subordinates from hanging around him in the hope that he would drop something. Two of his trusted allies sit close by. One of them was a very frail and elderly figure. His fur was ashen gray with a snow white beard and wrinkled, bony hands. He sat close to the Ikenna and groomed him along the back of his neck as the dominant male tucked into his fruit. The old chimpanzee was almost sixty years old so his movements were slow and careful. But the alpha-male didn't mind this. Despite being the most dominant; Ikenna still had respect and love for his father.

However, despite his father's grooming, Ikenna couldn't relax. As he watched over the rest of his family, he was slightly alarmed that he could not see Nneka anywhere among the rest in the troupe. Pant-hooting for her, Ikenna stood up fully and looked around hoping she was just up or behind a tree. A few others also began pant-hooting, trying to tell her that Ikenna was looking for her. Squawking and waving one arm, Ikenna summoned four of his subordinate males to follow him into the undergrowth. He would not typically worry about Nneka being alone, she always went off alone. But because of her condition, Ikenna knew that she would be more vulnerable and he was aware of a neighbouring community who could easily try and steal her. And if the Alpha Male wanted her... Huffing gruffly, he turned his attention to the matter. With a growl, he ordered his band to move out on a search. He had a slight suspicion of where she could be, and he hoped he was right.