“Yeah,” he replies. “You too.”

“Here you are,” Jamie says, handing me a glass of water. She looks between the two of us. “I’ll let you two catch up.” She retreats to the kitchen while Harry and I sit down in the living room. Things were quiet for the first few moments.

“I’m…I’m sorry I didn’t get to say goodbye,” I finally speak up.

“It’s fine. Wasn’t your fault.”

“No, but…there was something I had to tell you. About what I told you on Christmas. About us breaking up…I’m sure it’s too late now but-“

“Nicole,” he interrupts, finally putting some emotion into his voice. “Let’s not do this.”

“Harry, I’m sorry. I know I ruined everything. I wanted to fix this as soon as possible, but I never got the chance and you wouldn’t return my calls.”

“You clearly don’t have a single clue what you want.”

“I want us to be together like before. They can’t hurt us now, Harry. We don’t have to hide it like we used to. We aren’t breaking any rules and Melissa can’t come between us. It’s perfect! Why can’t you see that?”

“You broke up with me,” he reminds.

“But it didn’t take me long to realize I was wrong,” I point out. “You know why I did what I did. It wasn’t because I didn’t love you.” I take his hand in mine. “Please? I am so sorry for everything.”

A small smile forms on his face and he laughs softly to himself. “I remember when you first showed up at our house. I thought you were some rare untouchable creature that I would never get to know.” I smile too. “I’m glad I was wrong.”

“I’m glad I was too. All my other families have been the same. Mean, greedy, unwelcoming… and then came you. I thought you’d be the same way, but you weren’t. You were different. You and Gemma and Anne and Robin. You’re my family. I don’t want to lose you.”

The smile on his face faded, and he was now serious again. “I really missed you,” he tells me.

“I missed you too.”

“You don’t know how much I want to just kiss you right now, but I can’t.”

I smile. “Why not?”

“Because this isn’t going to work. You’re living at least forty minutes away. I wouldn't be able to visit very often. You wouldn't be able to leave to visit me. We’d never see each other. It's as simple as that.”

He was right. It wouldn’t be the same. I don’t have a car, and the group home isn’t exactly a come and go kind of place. Harry wouldn’t be allowed to stay as he pleased. It really wouldn’t work.

My eyes began to tear up as I thought of never seeing him again.

“Don’t cry,” he tells me, wiping away a single drop with his thumb as it tumbled down my left cheek. “You’re prettier when you smile.”

“But there’s nothing to smile about.”

“You’re here, aren’t you? We’re together right now. I think that’s pretty remarkable.”

I force a smile, but it disappears just as quickly as it had come. “My birthday is in July. I’ll turn eighteen and be thrown into the world on my own. We can be together then,” I tell him.

“That’s over half a year from now,” he points out. I nod my head.

“I know.”

I get up from my seat, fighting back the tears. The pained expression on Harry’s face was too much to handle. I tell Jamie I’m ready to go and she heads out to start the car. I stand by the door face to face with the one I love.

“I’m sorry,” I tell him. He leans down and plants a slow passionate kiss on my lips. It only made me cry more knowing that would possibly be the last time I felt the sensation of his lips against mine.

We say our goodbyes and he wipes away my tears one last time before I follow Jamie to the car. I watch out the window as we pull away. More tears quickly replaced the old ones, and I cried in silence as we returned to the group home.

“You were wrong,” I tell Jamie. “It wasn’t meant to be.”

She glances at me. “You don’t know that,” she says. “The future is full of possibilities.”

Yet I’m sure none will come my way.

AUTHORS NOTE

I have such exciting plans for this story like you don't even know. ASDFGHJKL; i can't wait ^_^ oh, and sorry it's not very happy right now. it might get better ;D but it might not. youll just have to keep voting and commenting and reading and all that good stuff to find out!! :) Don't worry little ducklings I have it all planned out ;) AND THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL THE LOVELY COMMENTS ON THE LAST CHAPTER THEY MADE MESMILE AND IM REALLY HAPPY YALL ARE ENJOYING THIS STORY SO MUCH I LOVE YOU MORE THAN YOU CAN IMAGINE AND THANKS FOR ALL THE VOTES AND EVERYTHING AND THANKS FOR READING YALL ARE JUST INCREDIBLE OKAY BYE xxxxxxxxxxxx