Secret Date

I crack my eyelids open, blinking a couple of times as a glow of light streams in through the window in the bathroom, bathing the room in a soft blue-ish hue from the morning sky. I groan, feeling comfortable and warm wrapped up in what I think is a large cotton blanket. Snuggling even further into the warmth, I look on either side of me to see that Levi isn't in the bed with me.

I untangle my arms from the blanket to push myself up from the bed, swiping my fingers over my eyelashes and catching the sand in my eyes, rubbing the sleepiness away. Shaking my head, I feel my hair softly fall over half of my face, then tuck it back behind my ear as I roll off of the bed and place the pads of my feet on the floor.

Stretching my arms above my head with a yawn, I pop my shoulders and then shove myself off of the bed. Stumbling forward, I make my way into the office and immediately spot Levi propping his head up on his elbow, eyes closed in a peaceful expression with a pen loosely held in his grip.

I don't know when he got up during the night, or if he ever went back to sleep. Quite honestly, I don't think anybody can really go back to sleep after having even the tamest nightmares that we have; the memories still too fresh and the realization of the inevitable a little too unnerving just to sweep it under the rug until morning.

Walking around the desk, I stop behind him and loosely wrap my arms around his shoulders, then rest my chin on his right shoulder.

"It's morning, Levi." I whisper. He grunts in acknowledgement then leans his head against mine, flicking his cat ears against me.

"Good morning then."

"What time did you fall asleep?" I turn my head and kiss his cheek.

"I kept waking up through the night, so I came out here around dawn."

"Sorry."

"Nothing to be sorry about." He turns and kisses me on the mouth.

I let go of his shoulders and walk around him to sit on top of the desk. He crosses his legs in front of him and leans back in his chair, staring up into my eyes.

"How did you sleep?" He raises a hand and stifles a yawn mid sentence.

"Like a... kitten." I press my lips together, trying to hide a smile, but I'm powerless against it when I get a glare from Levi. I laugh as his ears twitch and his tail thumps against the chair annoyedly. "You know, no matter how much you glare at me now, I still think you look more cute than threatening."

He growls at me, the tapping of his tail getting more erratic. I grin and hop off of the desk, walking around it without taking my eyes away from him for more than a second.

He follows me with his eyes until I get out of his line of sight. Taking a look outside the large window behind his desk. I hear him huff, then the unmistakable sound of a pen against paper. I let myself kneel down on the floor, watching the trees sway as I fold my legs under me. Leaning against the window frame, I let myself think- about our time together, my feelings for him.

Do I like him? Automatically I answer the question. Of course I like him, I have for a long time. But do I love him? I ask myself. I feel stumped. Of course I like him, and I remember the feeling of attraction, but when I ask myself the question, I can't really tell. I think of how sad I would feel if he were to disappear from my life, and as soon as I do, the thought makes my lower lip quiver in sadness. It sends a sharp pang through my chest that leaves a huge damper on my mood.

A small spark of understanding flashes through my mind. Of course I love him. I would feel lost without him, like a piece of me would be ripped from my heart and soul. A shaky sigh passes through my lips, half from sadness and half from the giddiness of realizing that I love him.