12. two truths and a lie

Seeing twelve boys jumping into the pool naked isn't something I ever want to witness again

Seeing twelve boys jumping into the pool naked isn't something I ever want to witness again. It was over two hours ago that I saw that god awful event. All I can say is I don't think I will ever look at our school soccer team the same again knowing that they've done what I saw the losing team do.

Our school even threw their clothes over the back fence leaving them to essentially streak around to the back in order to get dressed again.

I was dead set on winning and I think it showed in our five point victory over them. The best part was rubbing it in Jasmine's face that she sucks while disguising it as a friendly hug. But I didn't bother sticking around for anyone after that, I grabbed my things and headed back inside for another drink.

When I came out I saw twelve butts just as they jumped into the pool, then I disappeared upstairs to process the trauma in my current hide away. Otherwise known as the game room, something like that.

There's a couple of people playing pool, others watching on while I stole the two bean bags located near the window. Occasionally I'll look out into the backyard but that's it. I left Ella with Joshua, she should be fine under his care and I told her to text me when she was ready to leave.

I just didn't want to run into Jacob, or Grayson for that matter. I don't want to face the harsh reality of what's going on. I'm in a fake relationship while crushing on the guy who I thought liked me back.

By Jasmine's words I can safely assume otherwise. It would make a lot more sense, she's been in his life since diapers. Of course he's going to fall for her.

Not me.

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid girl.

Drinking the last of my third coke, I place the cup on the window sill and stretch out my toes. The bean bag moves slightly yet does nothing to distract from my comfortable position. In the reflection of the window I notice the people playing pool abruptly stop before leaving under Eli's command. I purse my lips together, seeing Grayson walk in and closing the door behind him.

"Why did you disappear like that?" I don't answer him, just move my feet for him to sit down. He holds out a can of coke to me which I take, opening it as he sits down and almost falls off of the bean bag in the process. "You killed it. I had no idea that you could play like that or even that you could." I take a sip, waiting a second before looking at him.

"Aaron plays. He had to practice somehow," I chuckle lightly noticing the obvious look of hatred on his face. "Why do you hate him so much?"

He doesn't answer me, opting to take a swig of his beer instead. I huff in annoyance, pouring the coke into my cup. I can feel his eyes staring at me but I don't bother to question it or squirm. I'll never know why they don't get along or why they don't like each other. Neither of them will spit it out so I'm never going to know unless I find out myself.

"Alright. So how long have you been playing soccer?" He licks his lips and adjusts himself in the bean bag.

"I started playing when I was ten. I wasn't really great at playing mid field or any of those positions," I nod, running my thumb up and down the lines of the red solo cup in my hand.

"How come you don't play for the school? I saw you and you were pretty good." A smile tugs at his lips as he shakes his head.

"I don't particularly get along with the soccer team. Apart from Eli and Josh. I used to in Grade 10 and I dropped it in Grade 11." There's a bit of sadness in his voice as he looks up hesitantly. I can see the mixed emotions in his eyes which means there's something else behind the reason. "But thanks for letting me know that I'm good. What about you? With English you're some genius according to what Phillip said."

"Oh. Yeah, that's nothing worth talking about." He laughs lightly leaning forward with a small smile.

"I think it is. You're topping both Advanced and Extension. That's impressive." I lean back and drop eye contact with him. "So I'm guessing you're the writer on Heartbreakers. Aaron sucks at English, I would know because we're in the same class." I hum as an answer.

"I want to be a journalist because author is too much of a stretch. What about you? What does your future hold?" He clucks his tongue.

"Hoping for UCLA, what for. I don't know yet," The smile seems to slip. "How about we play two truths and a lie? Except its got to be personal and not basic shit like dislikes and likes."

"You go first." I take a sip of my drink and he nods, rolling the neck of the beer bottle between his hands.

"My parents are divorced. I'm scared of clowns. I've been cheated on." He takes a swig, holding eye contact with me. I stare at him blankly for a few seconds before trying to think which one's a lie.

"You're scared of clowns?" I ask hesitantly and he shakes his head.

"Not the lie. Your turn." I take a sip now trying to think of a good lie. Bingo.

"I've had one boyfriend. I love red roses. I want to get a tattoo." Raising an eyebrow I challenge him to pick the right one.

"You want a tattoo?" Smirking, I shake my head.

"Nope. Your turn."

"Alright," He smirks and leans forward. "I want to play soccer again. Aaron and I hate each other. I've only had one girlfriend."

"You've only had one girlfriend?" He nods.

"Your turn."

"I'm failing Physics. My parents are married. I think Aaron needs to back off my life." He takes a swig before giving me a slight smile.

"Your parents aren't married." Raising an eyebrow, he kneels on the ground resting his arms on my knees. "I may or may not have hacked into the school system and read your files-" I smack his arm and shove his chest.

"Are you kidding!" I yell, he bites his lip and shakes his head.

"No. I am really, drunk right now. So- I have no filter. Can you tell me why your father isn't allowed on school-"

"Grayson back off. That's personal and not something you should know," I snarl, pushing him away and back into the beanbag. I use the window ledge to get up and glare down at him as he rolls onto the floor. "Don't peer into my life. If I wanted to tell you something I would have." Stepping over him I walk to the door, grabbing the door handle just as he speaks up.

"I wanted to know that you weren't as perfect as I thought you were," My heart races at his words and I spare a glance at him out of disbelief. "You're visibly perfect. Everyone thinks it but nobody notices the cracks you conceal."

"I'll find Eli and get him to look after you. Stay here," I walk out, running my fingers through my hair with a deep breathe.

Don't let him inside. Don't get hurt. Don't let another male hurt you.

All they do is hurt you, I don't want another pointless heartbreak. I can't and won't go through it again.