Chapter 12 (Part 2)

Começar do início

Then it struck me that I still didn't know where Zara was. Suddenly panicked, I tore around the house- upstairs, downstairs, then upstairs again. I burst into the closest room and my eyes widened. The room was a complete mess. A chair had fallen and an open nail polish was dripping onto the floor. A wardrobe door was left open- for a reason I didn't know- and a window was open. The swaying curtains in front of it had a rip. And right in the middle of it all, on a bed, was Zara. I raced over to her, tucking a bit of hair behind her ear and looking her all over. Her dress was still on but it was streched and creased with a small tear down the side. I pulled the bed covers completely off her and noticed she had a small cut on her hand and her leg looked really red. On her head she had a large lump and a big bruise. I kissed her gently on the lips and her eyes opened slowly.

"Louis?" She croaked.

"Yes, babe. It's me. Are you ok?" She put her hand to her head where the lump was and then looked at her hand. "What happened?" I asked her.

"Where were you?" She ignored my question.

"We'll talk later, I need to know if you're ok. Do you need to go to hospital? Will you tell me what happened?"

She kept ignoring my questions. "Louis, you should have told me, or at least gone after me."

"I did! I brought you outside so Alex would leave without you knowing he was here!"

"Yes. But Louis, why didn't you tell me he was here?"

"I don't know." I sighed, admitting defeat.

She continued. "It wouldn't have hurt for you to tell me he was here, it's not like I'd go and find him." There was a short silence.

"What actually happened?" I asked.

"Alex told me to come upstairs and I did, stupidly. Then he locked the door of the room and started pushing me, and throwing stuff at me, and just being violent. I don't know why, Louis." She looked up at me and I could see the tears pricking in her deep brown eyes.

"Anyway, we heard someone come up and he threatened me that if I screamed or anything like that, he'd hurt me. So he pretended and made me pretend we were just people making out." She paused. "Where were you, Louis?"

I felt a sting of guilt as she said this. I hadn't been there for her. "I'm sorry, babe. I was searching for you everywhere, I promise. It was me who came up and I didn't come in the room because of... well, what I heard."

She sighed, and yawned.

"Do you need to go to hospital?" I asked her.

"No." She lied.

"Have you seen yourself? Your head looks very painful. We're going." I don't think she could be bothered to argue, so she got up.

"Oww!" I looked behind me to see her helplessly on the floor.

"Lou, my foot really hurts." She said, rubbing it gently.

"Here." I picked her up in my arms and carried her downstairs to my car outside, before gently placing her in the passenger seat. I then ran around to the driver's side, got in and drove off.

"Zara, is there anything I can do to make it up to you?"

She shook her head. "You don't need to, it's fine."

"Fine? Fine!? Look what he's done to you!" I lifted up one of her arms and she looked down at it. It was bruised and red.

She sighed, and we sat in silence for a while.

"Oh, crap." She said, breaking the silence.

"What, babe?"

"I haven't got my bag, it had my phone and purse in it."

"That's ok. I'll give James a ring and tell him about what happened and tell him to look out for your bag."

"Oh, no. That spare room's a state! And that's his parents house, right?" She put her head in her hands, then looked back up at me. "If James' parents know about what happened, they'll obviously contact my mum and dad and then my mum will probably never let me out again."

"Zara, don't panic. I'll pay for a new wardrobe, or whatever they need. Of course, we'll tell your parents, but it will be fine!"

"It won't, Lou." She stared out the window, twiddling with a bit of her hair.

"Please, babe. I'll talk to them, sort it out and it will all be fine."

"Ok." She sighed. "Just make sure my dad doesn't try to go and beat Alex up, he can't even hold a fist right."

I laughed, and realised it was the first time I had for a long time. I reached a hand over to hers and she took it gently. Maybe everything would be ok after all. I concentrated on driving for a while, and as I was parking at the hospital, I looked over at her. She was asleep. Then I realised, she wasn't breathing. I barged my door open and ran around to hers, opening it and picking her up. I ran off with her in my arms towards the hospital doors, leaving my car's doors wide open.

"She's not breathing." I blurted out, breathing heavily when I reached the receptionist desk.

"Emergency Room 4." The lady told me. I looked about helplessly.

"It's there!" I heard her shout and I raced towards the door after spotting it. There were two nurses in there, chatting, but when I told them she wasn't breathing they immediately got to work, rushing about the room.

"What happened?" One nurse asked me whilst the other began to do things to Zara I didn't understand.

"Well, we were at a party and her ex showed up and she hasn't told me everything but he hurt her and she's hit her head." I rushed these words out, the nurse kindly nodding along.

"Do you know where else she's been hurt?"

"I haven't checked completely, but I think she has a cut on her hand and some bruises and red marks in other places." The nurse walked off to help the other nurse with Zara. I sat down in a chair and waited for something to happen, but the nurses were blocking my view of Zara and their words were two quick and quiet for me to hear.

"Will she be ok?" I asked, but there was no reply.