PF: Part Ten

Dipper started planning his escape as soon as Pacifica fell asleep.

She was draped over the table with her cheek resting on the wood, breathing softly. He sort of wished she would snore, if only to make her seem more human. But no, the only sound of her sleeping was a soft, rhythmic breath.

Beside her, Gideon pored over the third Journal, oblivious to the world around him. A sleeping Pacifica and a distracted Gideon might mean an opportunity to run.

So Dipper sat, stroked his pig, and planned.

He could do this, he told himself. It was just like pulling a prank at school. Dipper was the Prank Master, and anybody who said otherwise paid less attention to society than Mabel. Back home in Piedmont, he set standards for anybody who wanted to prank a teacher or a classmate.

Okay, Dipper, he thought, you've got this. Just pretend that Gideon is the principal, and he confiscated Mabel's book for reading too much in class. You've got to snag the Journal and get out of his "office" before he can hit the security button.

Dipper's principal back home didn't actually have a security button, but it was the closest thing Dipper could think of to replace Gideon's amulet. Plus, it made him feel like he was in a spy movie.

An hour and a half after Gideon started studying the Journal, and half an hour after Pacifica fell asleep, Dipper started putting his plan in action.

He started muttering to himself. It was mostly nonsense, things like "should've stayed inside" and "can't believe this is happening." Generic phrases, but things that one might expect from a hostage. He said the words under his breath, looking down at Waddles but keeping a peripheral eye on Gideon.

It took about ten seconds before the Northwest turned around. "What are you doing?" he asked in annoyance.

Dipper assumed a blank stare. "What?"

"That mumbling thing."

"Oh." He frowned. "Was I mumbling?"

"Yeah," Gideon said. "Quit it."

"Sorry."

Gideon turned back to the Journal. Dipper watched the back of his head, counted to sixty Mississippi, and started muttering again.

This time, it took half a minute for Gideon to turn around — though his shoulders tensed up almost immediately. "You're doing it again."

Dipper looked surprised, then sighed. "I'm not doing it on purpose."

"Well, stop. I'm trying to focus."

Dipper threw in another mutter. "Yeah, focus on the book you stole."

Gideon let out an exasperated sigh. "Something to say, kid?"

"Nothing," Dipper said, glaring back.

Gideon went back to his study.

Dipper glanced over at Pacifica. She hadn't stirred. Good. He counted again, this time to one hundred twenty Mississippi. One more try.

"This is ridiculous," he mumbled. "Captive in my own house. Can't believe I'm sitting here."

Then, for emphasis, he poked Waddles in a ticklish spot. The pig squealed.

"Would you shut up!" Gideon whirled on Dipper.

"Hey, man, I'm stressed out!" Dipper protested, loud enough to show emotion but not loud enough to wake Pacifica. "It's automatic, okay? You try being the captive for a while and see if you don't mutter to yourself!"