FE: Part Seven

Pacifica Pleasure hated a lot of things. She hated Mabel Pines. She hated low-lives who couldn't even recognize talent. She hated people who treated her like a child. She hated people who didn't compliment her when they should (which was every time they saw her). She hated people who called her a fake. She hated that she technically was a fake.

But now, there was something else. A new, crowning hatred that topped everything else.

Pacifica hated being a boy.

Gideon — or, heh, Gidicascowled at her and thrust the heels at her. "If you love them so much, you wear them."

Pacifica looked herself (or, rather, Gideon's body) up and down. "You think I can wear heels in this thing? You don't have a delicate bone in your body, Gidica!"

His scowl deepened. He was ruining her make-up with that expression! "Don't call me that," he said, his voice low.

Unfortunately for him, the threat didn't work when it was a male voice coming from a female body. Pacifica laughed. "I'll call you whatever I want."

"Fine, Pazeon, but we're wasting time."

Pacifica wrinkled her nose — an expression that didn't feel half as satisfying with Gideon's features. "Fine. Let's just figure out what you have to do to fix this. I have a show in a few hours, and there's no way I'm performing in this body — or letting you perform for me."

"Pacifica, this is not my fault!"

"You touched the prophecy!"

The two continued down the passages of Harbinger Hollow, bickering all the way.

"Look," Gidica said, "the prophecy said, 'Whatever curse you got, you deserved it.' That means both of us. So we both have to confess to something."

"Fine. You first."

Gidica threw up his hands. Gah, he was so jerky and violent. Her body wasn't supposed to move like that. "I don't know! I do a lot of stuff. I don't know what counts as bad. And most of it isn't stuff I want to do, anyway."

"That's it!" Pacifica said. "You can't think of what you've done wrong, right? Well, me neither. Because I don't do anything wrong." Gidica rolled his eyes, but Pacifica ignored him. "So maybe we switched bodies so that I can figure out what you've done with fresh eyes."

"And so that I can do the same for you, I'm sure?" Gidica drawled, his voice heavy with sarcasm.

Pacifica waved the comment away. Then she moaned and stopped walking.

"What?" asked Gidica.

"That would mean we do have to take each other's places before we switch back. At home."

Gidica stopped too. "No. No way am I running your fake psychic show."

"Hey! I am a real psychic, as you know very well!"

"Yeah, but your show is fake."

Pacifica made a huffing noise. "That's just so people aren't afraid of me and my awesome power."

"Sure."

The two continued walking in a broiling silence, tension rolling around them in waves. Gideon's body was uncomfortably sore, almost aching, and Pacifica wondered if he'd gotten in some fight with a creature from the forest. She tried to ignore the discomfort and focus on the situation at hand. She would not let Gidica ruin her show. They would have to figure something out before that. It couldn't be too hard, right?