DRB: Part Eight

Mabel knew.

Pacifica didn't jump to conclusions: She knew she might be wrong about her first impression of Mabel, that night at the Tent of Telepathy. But now, she could see the truth in Mabel's eyes. She knew she was immune to Pacifica's powers, and she was silently mocking her. Every time Mabel glanced at Pacifica, her eyes glinted with some kind of wicked triumph. You can't see into me, those eyes said. We both know you're weak.

Was Dipper in on it, too? Sweet, adorable Dipper? Pacifica couldn't believe that; he was too authentic. But she wouldn't put it past Mabel to use her innocent brother to lure Pacifica into some kind of trap. What could Mabel want with someone like Pacifica? Did she want to use her for some nefarious deed? Was she trying to strip Pacifica of her powers entirely?

With every glance from Mabel, Pacifica's skin grew a little warmer, until a tight-lipped rage boiled just underneath the surface. Keep it together, Pacifica, she told herself. She just had to make it through this date. Then she could get out of here and plot some kind of scheme to expose Mabel for the monster she really was.

Anybody had to be a monster to resist Pacifica.

Except Dipper. Pacifica could never do anything to hurt him, not after he'd effectively won her over. For both of their sakes, she hoped Mabel was the only mastermind, and that Dipper wouldn't get in the way of Pacifica's justice. Hopefully he'd easily see Mabel as a monster and come over onto Pacifica's side.

As Pacifica stewed, it was surprisingly easy to push back the small voice lingering in her mind. The voice whispered things like, "Why is Mabel a monster, again?," "Dipper won't just leave his twin for you," and "Sides of what? What are you and Mabel supposedly fighting over?"

No, Pacifica had learned long ago to push back the voices she didn't want.

She had also learned to resist the urge to strangle somebody, and she put that skill to the test as she stayed uncomfortably close to Mabel, so that the girl was constantly in her periphery. Mabel was keeping an eye on her, she knew. Trying to find some weakness, some way to exploit her vulnerability.

Focus on the date. Focus on Dipper. Aww, he was trying to discreetly put his arm around her shoulder as they looked at the ghost display. So cute. It really was too bad that such a great boy could be twins with. . .

Pacifica's eyes darted to the side to glance at Mabel. With her.

The tour ended with no strangulations or explosions on Pacifica's part. She straightened her outfit (which was, of course, mostly purple) and smiled at Dipper. "That was lovely," she lied. Perhaps she would have been able to enjoy it more if he hadn't invited his sister along; but as it was, Mabel had taken all the joy out of the experience.

"I'm glad you liked it," Dipper said. "Maybe it's not as cool as your warehouse, but I like it."

"Warehouse?" The question came from Mabel, who was still standing nearby. She looked far too curious for Pacifica's liking.

"Yeah," Dipper said. "Pacifica's family owns this antique furniture company, and they have a warehouse on a hill above town. You can see for miles up there."

"I do enjoy the view," Pacifica said.

"Let's go grab some food," Dipper suggested. "I'm pretty hungry."

"Sure." Pacifica followed him through the Employees Only door into a quaint living room with a dilapidated old couch. To her distaste, Mabel joined them. Dipper didn't seem to mind, but Pacifica did. She minded very much.

She was about to say something when another person entered the room. "Mabel, I need—" The voice stopped as its owner caught sight of Pacifica.

"You must be Stanford Pines," Pacifica said, smiling at the old man. "It's a pleasure to meet the owner of such a magical place. Dipper just showed me around your lovely Museum."

Stanford returned Pacifica's smile with a confused scowl. "What are you doing here?"

Dipper took Pacifica's hand in his. "We're on a date!" he proclaimed. Pacifica smiled up at Stanford, trying to appear like the happiest girl in the world.

Stanford's scowl deepened. "Kids your age shouldn't be dating," he said gruffly. "Get her out of my house."

Pacifica's smile froze on her face.

"Grunkle Ford!" Dipper complained. "That's mean! C'mon, Paz, I guess the date is over."

Pacifica nodded. "That's all right."

"I'll walk you home, then. Wanna come, Mabes?"

Pacifica glanced back at Mabel, hoping to communicate that Mabel should not come. Sure enough, "Oh, n-no, I'm fine," she said. Good. Pacifica sent a simpering smile in Mabel's direction as the other girl followed Stanford out of the room.

"Sorry about that," Dipper said. "He gets pretty grumpy sometimes."

"Oh, I don't mind him," said Pacifica. Which was true enough. She was far too focused on Mabel to worry about Stanford.

When Pacifica got home, she immediately pulled out her crystal ball. It was clear that she'd been spying on the wrong person. Dipper was wholly innocent, she was sure; Mabel was the one that Pacifica needed to watch out for. So, as much as she never wanted to see that face again, Pacifica resolved to watch Mabel through the crystal ball. Soon enough, Mabel would reveal a weakness. Or, perhaps, she would go somewhere exposed, and Pacifica could confront her.

Until then, Pacifica would be watching.