Fourteen

I'm really not sure what I was expecting for the day, but seeing Ruby sitting at my desk as soon as I woke up was definitely not it.

"Wha- Ruby? What's going on?" I gaped. I rubbed my eyes tiredly, as if she might not actually be there - but she was.

Ruby spun around on my desk chair, a wicked grin on her face. She was tightly clutching the copy she leant me of the final Harry Potter book. "I see you finished The Deathly Hallows?" she asked.

I remembered the previous night, staying up for hours just to complete it. I had written out all my thoughts - as Ruby had requested - in my phone, but fell asleep before I could text them to her.

"Uh, yeah," I muttered, combing my fingers through my messy black hair. "I did."

Ruby distractedly thumbed through the pages of the book for a few moments. "Fantastic, but we'll talk about it later. Right now it's time to celebrate your birthday!"

Today was August ninth, I suddenly remembered: my eighteenth birthday. Today I was an adult. "I hadn't even been thinking about that," I admitted, awestruck.

Ruby clicked her tongue. "Saya, Saya, Saya," she chided at me disapprovingly. "You see, this is why we became best friends. Now get ready, everyone is downstairs."

"Everyone is what?" I echoed.

"Downstairs," repeated Ruby like it was the most regular thing in the world. "Hurry up. You're going to have the best birthday ever."

Ruby stood from my chair and stalked out of the room. I put my feet on the floor and noticed a small box on my nightstand. I reached over and opened it to see a pair of beautiful small silver earrings. The note inside read: Happy birthday Saya! I had to go into work early, but I'll see you tonight. -Dad

I smiled and closed the box. Today was looking pretty good so far.

Within fifteen minutes I had showered and gotten dressed. Just as I was tying my damp hair up into a ponytail, someone knocked three times on the bathroom door.

"Love?" It was Sapphire. "Sorry Ruby spooked you. Just wondering if you were ready."

I opened the door and smiled. "It's no problem. And yeah, I'm ready, but I don't know what I'm supposed to be ready for."

Sapphire tossed me an apple, winked a grey-blue eye at me and turned around, heading for the stairs.

Taking a bite out of the apple - which I assumed was supposed to be a quick breakfast - I hurried after her, and couldn't help but laugh a little when I saw everyone rushing about the living room.

Isir and Dan were blowing up different coloured balloons, Rose and Cash were hanging bright streamers, Jack was distractedly looking at photos on the walls, and Jules and Ruby were whispering about something.

"You guys," I said. "What is all this?"

At once they all looked up and shouted, "Happy birthday!"

I reached the floor and Jules walked to my side, kissing my cheek. "How did you even know my birthday was today?" I asked the room, taking another bite of the apple.

"Remember the other week when I was looking at horoscopes?" Isir questioned. I nodded, not bringing up the fact that he still read horoscopes out of the paper. "When you said you were a Leo, it was obvious your birthday was soon so-"

"-so naturally we stalked your Facebook in order to do this," Dan finished for him, a grin plastered on his light brown face.

"What sweet friends I have," I spoke sarcastically.