Three

His eyes lit up like the sun the next time I walked into the restaurant.

I pushed open the door to Amberley's and the bell chimed overheard. There were various groups of people scattered throughout the booths, talking, laughing, and enjoying their lunch. There was an employees wanted sign taped to the window, obviously because of the one girl who has quit a few days ago. I saw Ruby leaning against the counter, reading a book different from the one I last saw her with. A pencil was tucked neatly into the tight bun her dirty blonde hair was tied into. She looked up and smiled when she saw me. "His shift is just about over," she said with a knowing look.

"Oh, um... thanks," I replied awkwardly. I had avoided coming back to the restaurant, because I knew making new friendships this close to leaving for university was a terrible idea. I wouldn't be able to keep them, and it could only go downhill from there. But Jules was so interesting and fun, and sure enough, three days after we met, I found myself back in the place where it all started.

Then I heard Jules' voice from the kitchen. "Last order for the day," he called. His face appeared in the open window as he placed two plates piled with food on the ledge. Ruby picked them up and swept off to another part of the restaurant.

"Saya!" Jules exclaimed when he saw me, causing a majority of the costumers to glance up in alarm. He hastily undid his apron and came around through the swinging door to stand in front of me. "What are you doing here? I was kind of worried when you didn't come back. It's so nice to see you again."

I laughed at his fast paced tone. "I was just passing by and I figured I would stop in and say hi." Of course that was an absolute lie, but I figured it would freak him out to say, 'You're a really interesting person and I enjoy spending time with you so I wanted to see you again.'

"Awesome," he stated. "Hey, do you wanna come to my house for lunch? I make a mean panini."

"You work in a restaurant," I remarked, "I'm sure you do. But what about, you know, planning ahead a little?"

Jules regarded me as if I had grown a second head. "Saya," he deadpanned, "the beauty of my life is that I don't plan for anything. Ever. Having said that, lunch? Yay or nay?"

I giggled. "Sounds good."

So I found myself following him out the door of Amberley's. We got into our vehicles and I followed him to a large blue and white house near the edge of town. Jules got out of his van and bounded up the wooden steps of the deck with me trailing behind.

He pulled open the screen door that led us into a wide vestibule with a dining set at one end and various clutter at the other. I noticed the house was slanted slightly to the right, most likely from age. Jules kicked off his turquoise converse and slid them towards other pairs of shoes, so I did the same with my sandals. Then we walked into a living room, furniture to the right and a T.V to the left. Next to that was a staircase leading up, where a feminine voice rang down to us. "Jules? Is that you? I thought you and the guys were going to Isir's."

"Nah, they're coming here. Forgot to tell you, sorry," Jules called back.

When no reply came, Jules led me into the kitchen and gestured for me to sit at the breakfast bar, which I did. He started gathering various ingredients.

"Who was that?" I questioned, referring to the voice.

"My oldest sister, Sapphire. She's home for the weekend. Do you eat meat?"

"Oh, uh, yeah," I responded. Jules kept off-putting me with his random topic changes.

"Alright," he nodded. "Saf's a vegetarian so I make separate ones for her. We make them at the restaurant now, so I've just learned to ask. It's hard to tell the difference, really."