Seven

Things only got worse after that.

In a split second, Cash was on his feet and in front of Jules. "Say that again," he demanded, fire shining in his eyes.

Jules looked at Cash like he had never seen him until now. "Remedy Keita?" he repeated, his voice made it sound almost like a question.

It dawned on me that I was the only other person in this room besides Cash who knew what that meant. Sure, everyone knew the story, but I was the one that knew who the girl was.

"Cash," Ruby's voice was soft, "just calm down."

"Yeah man," Dan added, his legs a little shaky, "just tell us what's going on."

Cash grabbed the front of Jules' t-shirt, and lifted him out of the chair so they were nose to nose. "How could you?" Instead of angry, Cash just sounded broken.

Jules gulped. "Cash, I don't know what you're talking about."

"That girl you made out with," Cash explained in a low growl, "was her."

No one needed him to say anything else. All at once, every person in the room understood what was going on, and why Cash was acting the way he was.

"H-he didn't know!" Isir exclaimed insistingly.

"Isir," Jules said cautiously, not tearing his gaze from his best friend's, "you don't need to do that. Let me.

"Cash, you're aware that I didn't know it was her," Jules continued. Cash's shoulders were moving up and down at a fast pace. "You're angry. I get how you're feeling and-"

"You don't!" Cash screamed. "You have no idea what I'm feeling right now! I have been through so much shit in my life, and you've been there for me through all of it. I've been shot more times than I can remember, and it was always you stitching me up! But this time you pulled the trigger, and I don't think I can forgive you for that."

The look on Jules' face would tell you he was just punched in the gut. We all looked around at each other, surprised and unsure of what we should do.

"Cash," Jules' voice was weak. "How can you say that? You're my best friend. You and I have been best friends since we were little kids-

"Shut up!" Cash roared, shaking Jules rapidly. Jules was just letting Cash hold onto him like that, and I didn't understand why.

Cash's blue eyes were turning glossy, and my heart broke just seeing how tormented he was. I had never loved anyone the way Cash seemed to have loved that girl.

"No!" Jules shouted, finally getting angry. Isir and Dan shot to their feet at the same time, but didn't go anywhere, not yet.

I glanced over at Ruby, who seemed frozen in shock.

"You're being idiotic! How was I supposed to know it was her? Huh? You never even told us her name!" Jules continued. Even though I was a safe distance away, I found myself taking a step backwards and bumping into the wall. This was so unlike them.

"You of all people know why I did that!" Jules shouted. For a second I thought I saw him glance sadly in my direction, but I blinked and he was looking at Cash again. "You know me better than anyone, Cash! Why would I want to hurt you?"

That seemed to strike a chord with Cash, his shoulders sunk a little and he loosened his grip on Jules' shirt. The rest of us started to relax.

It happened so fast I had to piece it together later so I could understand.

There was a loud smack, and then the front door was slamming shut. Jules was on his knees, hands covering his face. Cash was gone.

                         _______