21. Second chances

Start from the beginning

"I think I'm good." I spoke quietly before I pulled away with every ounce of will power I had in me.

"Good night, Martin." She spoke quietly.

"Good night, Detective." I said as I backed away from her, she smirked before getting into her jeep. ( I picture her jeep like Stiles Stillinki's jeep, from Teen Wolf which is my favorite show everrrrr ((STYDIA FO LYFE))

--

D E J A

"It was a pleasure working with you, Detective Young." Jackson said reaching to shake my hand.

"Please, the pleasure was mine." I smiled as I shook his hand.

"Detective Riggs and Murtaugh-- its been interesting." Jackson said shaking each of their hands.

"What? We didn't pleasure you as much as the pretty lady?" Riggs smirked and I cleared my throat.

"I'm going to go fill out some paperwork, I'll see you around." I said as I stepped out of Avery's office, I stood against a wall as I sighed.

I could still hear the men talking sassily to each other.

I was about to leave when I heard Jackson call out Riggs directly-- "You know you're the only guy who she gives the time of day to? You lucky bastard." I heard Jackson say to Riggs.

I bit my lip as I smiled.

"Well, better me than you." I heard Riggs said and I lightly scoffed before walking to my desk.

I sat at it and could see the four men in the office, Murtaugh and Avery seemed to be keeping their mouths shut.

I smirked as I looked at Riggs, his hair was curlier than usual and it made me stare too long.

He looked over at me and I looked away quickly, mentally slapping my forehead for being so dumb.

I cursed myself under my breath as Riggs walked over towards my desk, it was nearing the end of our shift and I was tired from the last few grueling days of finding the kid that skinned the girls.

"Young," I looked up at him, knowing it was serious because he never calls me by my last name.

"Can we talk in the conference for a second?" He asked gesturing toward the more private of rooms in the building.

I slowly nodded as I stood up.

I followed him into the room, he closed the door after me.

"Congratulations, on-on your first big case. The first of many, I'm sure." He spoke sweetly.

"Please, you guys did most of the work." I smiled as I waved him off.

"Deja, will you please just take my compliment?" He smirked and I chuckled.

"Thank you, Martin." I nodded at him

"Is that all you wanted to say?" I asked, trying not to show my disappointment.

"No, actually, it's not." He said breaking eye contact as he looked at the floor, rubbing the back of his neck.

"What is it, Martin?" I asked stepping closer to him, knowing we had almost complete privacy.

"You know, I'm not scared of much." He said and I nodded, knowing this.

"You throw caution to the wind." I smirked, fixing the hem of my white shirt-- I dressed like a teenager with my distressed jeans and old sneakers.

"Right, right. Well, you see, the thing is that I-I'm terrified of this one thing-- no matter how hard I try it never goes away." He said and I listened closely.

"What are you so scared of?" I whispered.

"You." He said as he looked up at me, "You terrify me, Deja." He spoke breathlessly.

I was taken back as I blinked a few times, "Me?" I asked.

"Not-not in a bad way, Dej." He said and I exhaled.

"How can it be good?" I scoffed lightly.

"Because I'm in love you you, alright?" He spoke loudly and my breath hitched for a second.

My heart raced as my lips parted and I looked at the ground, "I'm so scared of you because I know I'd do anything for you-- I'd take a bullet for you or even worse, I'd wear a suit for you. Hell, I'd walk down the isle for you..." He said and I looked up at him in shock.

"Riggs.." I spoke.

"No, no, no, I do. I do love you. I have since I kissed you that night.. And I'm sick of not having you." He said and I looked away for a second.

"I'm sick of being unhappy," I spoke as I looked at him, "And feeling like I'm not good enough.. I-I feel like I'm killing myself."

"I never meant for you to feel like that. You have to believe me." He said and I slowly nodded, trying to take everything in.

He walked up to me and I put my hands on his upper forearms, steadying myself.

"Deja Thoris Young, I am in love with you." He said as I kept my eyes on him, "Maybe I have been since we met. Since I pulled you into that damn bank," He spoke, "I'm scared though, because, if I have you," He said looking down as he played with one of my hands, "That means I have something to lose. Something close to my heart," He sighed, "Someone who has it."

"Martin, I-I-" I stammered.

"I can't wrap my head around this." I spoke quietly as I looked down, noticing our bodies getting closer.

"I-I do love you." I said looking up at his brown eyes, assuring him with one of my hands on his chest.

"It's just so out of the blue, you know? You just told me you didn't want anything serious and now you're telling me you'd marry me." I spoke quietly.

"Because I would, I would marry you." His southern accent was evident.

"What are you doing tonight?" I joked with a small smile, "What are you doing right now?" He joked and I softly chuckled with my eyes closed.

I felt him brush a curly strand of my hair behind my ear, "Should we be doing this?" I whispered as I opened my eyes, he was getting closer.

"Probably not." He shrugged and I smiled.

"I don't want to be in trouble." I whispered.

"Would it really kill you if we kissed?" He smiled, "It might." I spoke against his lips before they were pressed against his.