Christmas Eve

Peace and quiet... It was Christmas Eve morning and the house was still. We were all going over to Max's house today for dinner. I couldn't believe that we were all going. Nine kids, and then Alice too. Wonder if they have enough chairs.

"MERRY CHRISTMAS EVE!" Boomed a voice. Eight kid's heads picked up. They all went running to the door. Melody's father was here. I knew that somehow they would come home for Christmas. All the boys were out of my room and it felt empty. I had been forced to sleep back in my room, even if I hadn't want to.

I hadn't really talked to Alice much. I've ignored her a lot. And right now I felt really bad.

"Hey Kyle?" Alice questioned as she stood in the doorway. "Can we talk?" She asked. I shook my head. She sat on my bed. I laid my head in her lap, still tired. She started playing around with my hair, she'll probably start braiding it soon too.

"I know it's hard. Christmas, your birthday, big holidays, they've always been hard for you since dad. Since dad died." Alice said. I tried holding back tears. That was always a touchy subject and Alice knew it.

"And Kyle. It's because of dad, you stopped talking. Right?" Alice asked. I didn't say anything, but I didn't look Alice in the eyes. Confirming her point.

"Kyle. It's hard for me too, but believe me. Dad wouldn't want you to be all sad and mopey on Christmas Eve. Especially since we have a ton of people to celebrate with today." Alice said. I managed a small fake smile. Alice stood up, pushing me off.

"And Kyle," She said. I looked up at her. "You really need to work on your fake smile." She said smiling. I smiled along, remembering Melody said the same thing.

I changed into some jeans and a t-shirt. I pulled my hoodie on and ran my hands through my hair. I walked into the living room where everyone was.

Alice was talking to Melody's parents. Melody's mom was holding a sleeping Lidia in her arms. Mina, Zach and Kelley were eating Christmas cookies in another corner, while laughing their heads off. Jake, Jack, Jazzy and two other African American kids were playing on the floor. The girl, who I remembered was seven, was having the time of her life, I knew she was going to get along great with Jazzy already. The boy however, looked very uncomfortable. I remembered he was nine years old. I took my eyes off them for a moment and scanned the room for Melody. I didn't find her.

I quickly left the room. I looked in the kitchen, in the mini library, and started walking down the halls up and down. I decided to check the guest room. I saw some moving blankets on the air mattress. I sat on the air mattress. Melody didn't move. I waited for her to make the first move.

I waited a few minutes, but she didn't do anything. I pulled the blankets off of her. She was in a tiny ball, rolled up, with her head under a pillow. I pushed her a little. She didn't do anything. I pulled her phone from her hands. Then she stood up.

"Kyle no. Give it back!" She shouted. Her phone was on. She never got this mad. I looked on the page that she was on. Her text messages. I held the phone higher. I was already taller than Melody, she wouldn't be able to reach it, but that sure didn't stop her from trying. I started scrolling through her text messages.

Ever heard of a brush? Learn to use one!

Wow, you're hanging out with the silent guy again. What are you going to do. Get mutt too?

Look, it's Mr. And Mrs. Mutt together again.

Wow what a fashion statement. I'm sure some dumpster would love to wear that!

Hey, you know what this is?
💩💩💩💩💩 Its poop! Just like you!

Wow look another squirrel got in your hair and it made a nest!

They went on and on. Melody gave up and flopped on the bed. She buried her head in the blankets. I didn't know what to do. I had been though the same thing, yet I still didn't know what to do. I gave Melody a hug. She sat back up.

"It's never been this bad. And all of them are tagging me in that photo that Kelley took." Melody said. I took a paper and pen from nearby.

Girls are cruel

I wrote.

"Geez thanks." Melody said with a small laugh.

Why don't you tell your parents?

I asked.

"Kyle. It's hard to talk to my parents. Especially how do I have a talk to them about how my sister started all this by sending out a stupid photo?" Melody insisted. We didn't say anything for a moment.

So, how are the new siblings?

I asked, trying to change the subject.

"The girls name is Rose. She's really friendly and cute. But the boy... I'm not sure what to make of him. His name is Albert. He's really shy and closed up. I know he's trying to protect his sister." Melody said. We talked a little more from there. And little by little I got more and more laughs and smiles out of Melody.

We joined all the other kids later. We all ended up playing tag in the house. We went outside and build snowmen and had the times of our life's. Mina, Melody, Zach, Kelley, Jake, Jack, Jazzy, and Albert and Rose too. It wasn't too bad.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's Note

Did you all like it? It took two days to write, so remember a lot of hard work went into this chapter.

QOTC (I'm going to stop doing these soon)

Q: where do you live?
A: on planet earth :)

Hey, let's remember it's true. Ok? Ok. Ok.

Word Count: 999