Chapter Six

Birdkit padded into the medicine den, exhausted from the vigil. Bluekit had gone back to the nursery to comfort Heathertail after Leafkit was buried. She sank into her nest, taking a deep breath of the scents of Snowdash, Deerfoot, and Snakepaw.

Her heart ached with loneliness. She placed a paw over her face and closed her eyes. She wanted to dream. She wanted her power to take her to their final moments before their disappearance. It would answer their questions and give them a solution.

She heard pawsteps entered the den. She felt her paw be poked. She moved her paw and looked up. Before her stood a she-cat with a starry white pelt and starry blue eyes. "Hello, Birdkit." Her voice was gentle. "Come with me. It is time for your initiation in apprenticeship."

Confused, Birdkit stood. "What do you mean? I'm too young!"

"There is no choice. The law must be broken. Snowclan's medicine cats are lost in the Dark Forest. You must take their place until we are able to return them."

Birdkit's heart seemed to stop. "The Dark Forest cats have them?" Snowdash had told her about them. Only the evilest cats resided there.

Her eyes glittered with worry. "Yes. They were taken on the edge of our territories. A kit saw the three being attacked and then dragged away. We are currently gathering our forces."

"Is another attack like in the other Clans going to happen to us?" she asked fearfully.

She hesitated, her eyes thoughtful. "I am not sure. Why they would choose those three cats is an even bigger question." She touched her nose to Birdkit's forehead. "Enough questions. They will be answered later. Come, young one."

"Who are you?" she asked as she followed her out of the den.

"My name is Iceheart."

Birdkit's eyes went wide with excitement. "The great hero, Iceheart?"

Iceheart purred. "The one and only. Look."

Birdkit stopped beside her. They stood in front of the medicine den. The clearing was full of starry cats and they were even in the trees. Her eyes shined in awe at all of the ancestors that came to greet her. One stepped forward and she let out a breath of shock.

The cat that had broke from the crowd was a she-cat named Spottedbelly. She was the previous deputy that had passed a half-moon after Birdkit and Bluekit were born. She and Icepelt had been close.

Birdkit ran up to her and buried her face in her chest fur. "Spottedbelly, it's good to see you again!"

Spottedbelly purred and licked the top of her head. "Hello, Birdkit. I am proud of you."

Birdkit looked up at her with joy. It made her so happy to hear her praise. Iceheart joined Spottedbelly's side. "It is time."

Spottedbelly stepped back as the Starclan cats encircled them. "This is a duty for our clan's founder." The two she-cats returned to the crowd of cats as another bounded forward.

The new cat was a beautiful she-cat with white and brown blotches on her body and a half black and half brown face. Her left eye was green and her right eye was blue, just like Greatfoot. Birdkit purred as she bowed her head deep in respect. "Hello, Snowstar."

"Hello, Birdkit," she greeted. Her eyes were full of excitement when Birdkit looked back up at her. "You ready?"

"As ready as I'll ever be."

Snowstar purred and held her head high. Her voice rang clearly through the air when she spoke. "Since the beginning of our clans, medicine cats have been an important part of our lives. They take care of us in our time of need. We are lost without them. Just as my clan is now. But no longer! Birdkit, do you swear to carry out the duties of a medicine cat even though you are an apprentice?"