Seventeen

Sincere

Eight Months Later

I sat at the bar, waiting on him to show up. It was my birthday and ever since I met Effrin we'd go out to the club, just to celebrate me in our own V.I.P with all of our friends. I know Effrin and I don't speak anymore but he could at least come celebrate with me.

I downed my Vodka and looked around the club waiting on Effrin to show up when I saw his crew walking through the door. When we came back from vacation he kicked me out of the house, like I expected, but he was determined to take over Antoine's drug cartel and he did that. Effrin quickly rose to the top and Antoine quickly fell to the bottom.

Now, Antoine's business is hardly anything like it used to be. Once Effrin came back, news broke about Antoine and I and everybody started leaving him. His old business collapsed and Effrin's new business succeeded, owning more than 75% of Compton's illegal cash flow, whether it be from drugs, prostitutes you name it. Effrin was in control and I wish I was helping to bask in the glory of his new life.

The last time I spoke to Effrin was about three months ago. Surprisingly, he called me over to chill with him and as soon as he said that I knew what 'chill' meant. He wanted to sleep together but I was ready to. We hadn't talked since the vacation and I was confused as to why he called me but I still went over his house, knowing what the both of us had been missing out on for months.

As soon as I got to his house, he didn't even give me a chance to speak before he started ripping off my clothes. Effrin and I were at it for hours, in every room of his house and in every position you could think of. I don't even think we were chilling, I swear it was love making. Once we got done he wasted no time kicking me back out of his house before saying something to me.

"I hate myself every day for being stuck on you, but I am. I'm still in love with you Sincere." I sighed and tried reaching for his hand but he backed up. "Nah don't touch me girl. I'm in love with you but we aren't getting back together."

"How come? You know I'm in love with you too," I replied.

"But you're just another hoe from around the block. Where are you staying?"

I shrugged my shoulders. "Living out my welcome with my cousin," I mumbled, crossing my arms over my chest.

He sighed. "Stay there and don't move," He mumbled walking up the steps. He came back down a few minutes later with a bucket in his hands, filled with some of my things.

"You still have my stuff?" I asked, taking he bucket from him.

"Yeah. I hate that I'm doing this but just look inside of the bucket, alright?"

"Okay, thank you so much."

"Whatever," He mumbled, closing the door in my face.

I took a deep breath and walked down his porch steps and got into my car. As soon as I got in there I dug through the bucket, looking at some of my clothes, shoes and jewelry that Effrin had bought me. At the bottom of the bucket was a pouch, filled with money.

I sighed and tapped my fingers against the bar, trying to erase my memories from that day and that hundred grand that he gave me to survive on. I continued my gaze on his crew, knowing where ever they were he wouldn't be far away. As soon as they walked into the club, girls flocked around them, looking for a quick dance or something that would get them in the running to quickly have sex in one of the bathrooms at the club.

They all walked up to the V.I.P but some of them stayed on the ground floor. I scanned the V.I.P section looking for Effrin but he wasn't up there. My eyes roamed down to the ground floor when I spotted some girl twerking on him. I rolled my eyes. She couldn't even twerk. Effrin's always had hoes, even when I was around, but he never showed them any attention because he wanted to stay faithful to me. As soon as we broke up those girls got attention and I got pushed to the side, being known as just another hoe who got lucky for a while with a Kingpin.

As soon as the song went off, Effrin tried walking away from her but she grabbed his hand and pulled him back to her. She grabbed the collar of his shirt and tried kissing him but he pushed her back. He shook his head and said something to her that made her upset. He pushed past her and walked upstairs to the V.I.P section, looking down at everyone below him when he stopped at me.

I put a fake smile on my face, as if I didn't just see him with that girl, and slightly waved. He shook his head and turned away from me as he pushed his way back down the steps of the V.I.P section. I straightened out my dress as he walked over to me.

"I didn't know you'd be here," He said, taking the seat next to me at the bar.

"I always come here on my birthday."

"Oh, it's your birthday? Happy birthday," He said lowly as the bar tender bought a drink over to him.

"This is courtesy of the girl down there," The bar tender said, pointing to a girl at the end of the bar.

Effrin smiled and nodded his head, not even looking in her direction.

"So, how's business going for you?" I asked trying to keep conversation going.

He turned to me as a smile spread across his face. "How does it look like it's going?"

"Good, actually."

He nodded his head. "Yeah, now I see how Harlem felt all of those years. It feels great being in control of things. How have you been?"

"Fine, I guess."

"Do you have a job now?" He asked.

I shook my head, no. "No."

He laughed. "Typical Sincere, too good for a job. So I take it you got the money?"

"Yeah, I never got a chance to thank you for it."

"Well I'm waiting," He replied.

I frowned. "Thank you, is this the new you? Is this Effrin now?"

"Yeah I guess you can say that. Having money changes you."

"I can see," I mumbled. "So I heard you aren't Caine more."

He nodded his head as a smiled formed on his face. "Yeah, niggas call me Smiley now."

I couldn't help but laugh. "Why?"

"They say I'm always smiling for these hoes," He said shrugging his shoulders.

"I bet you are."

Effrin sighed and looked down at his hands as a guy walked over to us.

"We're about to head out. It's lame as hell tonight, you coming?" He asked Effrin.

"Yeah. Bye Sincere."

"Bye," I mumbled, turning away from him.

Effrin was completely different now. He used to be so sweet and now all he does is remind me of how Harlem used to act, always cocky because of the little money and power he has.

I dropped my keys in the bowl that sat near the door and walked into the completely darkened house I shared with my cousin. I kicked off my shoes before walking upstairs to my room, when I passed by my cousin's room.

"Are you here T?" I asked, stopping in front of her bedroom door.

"Yeah, where have you been at all night? You just left me sitting up in this house!" She yelled through the door.

"I was out."

"With who?" She asked, pulling open the door.

"Myself, I can't be alone to have fun?"

"Not on your birthday you can't but it's whatever. Some nigga came by with something for you. I told him you weren't here but I left the gift in your room."

I nodded my head. "Alright thanks T."

I walked down the hall to my room and flipped on the lights to see a box sitting on my bed. I ripped open the box, expecting something to be in it but it was only a piece of paper with an address on it and the time to go there. I rolled my eyes. It was probably some thirsty guy trying to get me to sleep with him and his friends.

When word got around about Harlem and I, I turned into the new hoe on the block. Guys always come up asking me for my number so they could have a good time and I'm sure Effrin is the one who started spreading the rumor since Harlem disappeared a few months back. Honestly, I hope that he died or something. He was just a pain in the ass that would never go away, just like this terrible rumor.