Ch. 8

I didn't get my free day.

He was the one who broke up our kiss this time. I was very disappointed with myself. He smirked at me and I knew what was coming.....I should have stopped him, but I didn't. And, honestly, I don't regret my choice.

But that does not mean he can trash it in my face.

"So, you really did want me to kiss you....Ah Roza, I knew you were lying!" he said with that cute Russian accent that I loved. No Rose, stop. Don't think about that.

"No, I-I didn't," I stammered. "You just caught me by surprise." I needed something, anything!

"Then why did you kiss me back, huh?"

Oh God, why couldn't I think of a quirky comment in Rose Hathaway slang when I needed one.

"You must have imagined it. Now get off me."

"Wow Rose, your excuses have gone soft."

"No they haven't!"

He got off me and stretched his hand down, but I just ignored him and got up myself.

"That never happened," I told him.

"Ah, so you do admit something happened..."

"No!"

"Don't lie to yourself for me Rose. I know you liked it, and I did too," he said smiling.

"If you liked it so much then why did you break it off?" I knew that I was just admitting it to him more, but, hey, I really wanted to know.

"Cause we couldn't have another replay of the cabin, now could we?" he said raising an eyebrow and bursting into laughter as I turned red.

"I'm gonna go enjoy my free day now, and forever," I said.

"Free day from what? Me? Yeah, let's see how long that lasts," he said, still smiling.

"You know we're never gonna get back together, right?" I succeeded in effectively crushing his smile. My heart ached.

"No, I know that we are gonna get back together. You just keep lying to yourself. You're not hurting anyone but yourself."

***

"Little Dhampir!"

I love my life nowadays.

I turned around to see Adrian with Lissa & Christian coming to a halt in front of me. I was about to turn back and continue my walk, but Christian decided that the best way to stop me was to create a rampaging wall of fire in my path. I stumbled back into Adrian, who in turn, found it to be the best opportunity to arrest me. Literally. He slapped some handcuffs on my wrists and then proceeded to grab my arm and haul me away from Christian's fire wall. What this guy didn't realize was, that Dhampir strength was stronger than some stupid handcuffs.

As Christian and Lissa joined us (with the fire wall now gone), I ripped the metal hoops off my wrists and glared at the three of them. Adrian and Lissa winced, but Christian just glared back at me.

"Rose, stop worrying people," he said to me.

"Do me a favor, and tell them not to care," I said back.

"Tell them yourself."

"I did!"

"Is it working?" he asked me.

"No."

"You can try right now," he said.

"To who?" I asked.

"Us."

I glared at Lissa. "I told you to stay away from me. Take them and get lost."

"Rose," she said sweetly. My eyes glazed over. I felt the sudden urge to tell her everything. With horror, I realized that she was using compulsion on me. I struggled to break the spell, but the amount of spirit she was using was unbearable. For her, and for me.

I couldn't take it. Part of me registered the fact that this was Lissa, and I couldn't hurt her. Nevertheless, I couldn't believe that she would do this to me. I knew I had to stop this fast, the aftereffects would haunt her too as much as myself.

I resisted her compulsion the most I could, then curled my hand into a fist and raised it in front of her. I bet my expression was deadly right now. I felt someone grab me from behind, and haul me away from Lissa. Suddenly, the complusion broke and I heard Adrian and Lissa shouting at each other. Christian had both hands tightly gripping my wrists and was staring at me with wild eyes.

"Rosie I thought I told you to stop worrying people," he said, letting go of me.

"It's not my fault that your girlfriend used compulsion on me!" I said angrily.

"Lissa just wants to know what's wrong and you're not telling her. Cut her some slack," he told me.

"So you're defending her now, huh?! Don't you see that this was wrong? Doesn't she see that? I don't want to be controlled by magic!"

"We do know that Rose," he said calmly. "I'm not defending her. Calm down."

"Explain to me, how the heck can I be calm when I was just used to practice spirit? She knows what this does for both of us!" I screamed at him.

By now we had gathered quite a crowd. Among them was Lissa, her features laced with guilt. She was trying to make her way to me, but Adrian held her back. I could see Christian noticed this and that he didn't like it.

I turned and sprinted back towards my dorm, making my up my mind that I was never gonna forgive her.