Chapter Two

•◇•
"Guess what? I'm not a robot"
•◇•

It was dusk, cats were beginning to shed the sluggishness that the day brought, sunset was when they became alive.

Dawnclaw was in the nursery, her usual dwelling. She was staring at a spot on the inside of the bark of her den, her amber eyes fixed, but unfocused.

Her thoughts were on the event that had occurred last sunrise, with Sablekit's odd reaction at being invited to play.

It was playing on her mind, there was no denial that her kit was different. But what was the definition of different? Was he simply different, unusual, but still normal? Or was there something wrong with him? Dawnclaw didn't want to consider the idea that her kit could be anything but perfect.

A scuffle behind her caught her attention, Meadowkit had stood up. She waved her short tail, a cheeky grin on her face.

"Come on, Dawnclaw, let's go!" Meadowkit purred, and raced out of the den.

She's quite a tall kit. Dawnclaw mused as she followed. Her dilute tortoiseshell fur glowed, and she looked up at the sky. It was quite cloudy, but the sunset was still visible, with faint pinks streaking the sky.

"Red sky at night, hunter's delight." She meowed the saying her mother had always told her.

Her mate, Pinetuft, who was standing near, gave a purr of amusement.

"StarClan, you and your sayings." He said affectionately.

Dawnclaw smiled and brushed her tail lightly across his spine. He responded by licking her ear slightly, then he shook his dense, black tabby coat.

"How are the kits?" He asked.

Dawnclaw twitched at the question, how could she tell him that something could be wrong with Sablekit?

Nothing is wrong with him, you silly old frog! Sablekit is perfectly fine.

"They're good." She mewed vaguely. "How was your day?" She asked, changing the subject.

"Oh, it was good. I was patrolling the ElmClan border, it was peaceful, as per usual. Honestly, those cats are the biggest peacemakers I've ever seen. They might as well be kittypets!" Pinetuft said animatedly.

Dawnclaw laughed.

"They are, aren't they!"

The two twined tails, until Pinetuft broke away.

"I'm going to ask Yellowtail if there's any patrols that I need to go on." He told her.

Dawnclaw nodded, though disappointment dropped in her heart. She wished Pinetuft would spend more time with her, but she knew he was busy. He always put aside time to talk to her and the kits.

She nodded, and he smiled, and walked off. Dawnclaw sat, and began to delicately wash her paw. A friendly 'pirrup!' interrupted her.