Chapter Twenty Six

•◇•
"You sucked me in through the cinnamon stars"
•◇•

Dawnclaw felt a weight leave her, or perhaps, she was leaving it?

Either way, she felt lighter now.

She felt free-flowing, and glistening, and translucent.

She heard the sound of rain. It was pattering against the ground around her, soaking into the soft dirt and moss. She felt it around her, not so disgustingly wet, but smooth and peaceful.

She didn't feel wet at all.

She opened her eyes, greeted by dismal grey clouds.

She was in camp. But not in the medicine den.

It struck her as odd.

But Dawnclaw noticed an even stranger phenomenon. Her wound was gone, completely healed. Her throat was perfectly fine. No scar, no missing fur.

It wasn't that she saw her wound, no. She'd need a puddle for that. (And judging by the noise around her, it wouldn't take her long to find one.) It was more a feeling. She sensed it, she knew it was gone. There was no pain at all.

She sat up, and saw that it was indeed raining. Small water droplets fell from the sky, and landed in a splash. Dawnclaw could see her Clanmates huddled in their dens, with looks of deep sadness on their faces.

Why were they sad? Minkfoot had been found out, and she, Dawnclaw, was alive!

Are they sad because I'm alive?

But Dawnclaw had more pressing questions. Why wasn't she in the medicine den? How much time had passed? And why was her wound completely healed?

.... And why wasn't the rain touching her?

Inside, Dawnclaw knew that all of these questions had one answer, but it was an answer she didn't want to face.

But she had to.

Dawnclaw turned around slowly, and found herself looking at a small group of cats.

Rooktail, tiny little Bearkit, Dovefang, Dawnclaw's deceased mentor, and Sablepaw.

Dawnclaw opened her mouth, wordlessly.

The group walked over to her, their fur glittering with the light of stars. The pressed themselves against her, while Dawnclaw trembled.

"It's not fair." She said hoarsely.
"I didn't want to live this way. I was barely a warrior.. I failed my kits... I accomplished nothing." Her voice was hollow.

Dovefang shook his head at her.
"Hush Dawnclaw, hush. You didn't fail your kits at all. You had a lot to give, and you didn't gain that much. But death isn't the end, not at all! In StarClan, life goes on. In StarClan, everyone can grow and flourish, free of trauma. And you have Sablepaw to help, remember?"

Dawnclaw stared at the grey tabby, and her chest burst open.

There was no blood, there was no pain. There was a blossom in the place of her ribcage, it was swelling with hope. She had a chance to be free.