WELL DREAMT (12)

I could see her. A woman with jet black hair that shined like a dark jewel. It was all piled up high on top of her head in a tight bum. The dress she had on was old something from late eighteen hundreds. You could tell she was well off from the fine fabric the dress was made from. Everything about her was in place, she was clean and stood with a straight back.

There was a man at her side. His hand rested at her lower back. He was just as put together as she was. His suit new, it was clean, neat, pressed, made of the same good fabric as the woman's dress. His brown hair was combed and in place. The edges were graying but it seem something he was proud of.

The couple stood outside of a building -no- not just any building they were outside of the inn. The woman looked up at it and my eyes followed hers until I saw a young man standing in the window. His hand was pressed against the glass as he looked down at the pair.

"How long do we have to stay here?" The woman asked and the man looked down at her. There was a warm kindness in his eyes. A love that he held and you knew that he adored the woman before him. His lips turned up into a smile and soon she was smiling back at him.

"Until our house is built, Mary. Then I will carry you across the threshold and we can finally start our lives together." He told her. Mary? I exhaled as he spoke her name. This was the ghost in the wheelchair, the one who haunted our home. She had once been a guest here.

"Our lives have already started, Jonathan. I don't need some big house in some small town. I only need you." She reached for him taking his hands in hers. I could feel the warmth that flowed between them. Could sense the love that was shared along a link they held.

"I want the best for you and for the family we will start soon. Let me spoil you. You're my wife. It's my right to go overboard now and then." She only smiled at him leaning into his chest. How could I know this? How could I see any of this? The last thing I remembered was hearing Mary scream. Was she showing me this? How the broken scary woman was once clean and beautiful.

Jonathan urged Mary forward through the doors of the inn and I was pulled inside with them. They walked to the front counter where a blonde woman sat. She rubbed at her swollen belly a soft sigh on her lips.

"Welcome to Leiker Inn. I'm Olivia Leiker how can I help you?" Olivia asked. This woman was an ancestor of mine. She looked kind, a very pretty woman with red lips and a nice smile. Her clothes wasn't as nice as Mary but it was clear the inn was doing well. That my family was well taken care of.

"We will be needing a room," Jonathan spoke and Olivia nodded her head. She wrote something down in her book before standing up. Mary's eyes fell to Olivia's belly and her face lit up.

"How far along are you?" Mary asked. Jonathan's arm came around his wife's waist. The couple smiled maybe thinking about what it will be like when they started their own family.

"Just a few months. We're hoping for a girl." Olivia wobbled from behind the counter and towards the couple. "I'll show you to your room." She smiled at them before starting towards the stairs.

As they reached the fourth floor the man who had been standing by the window was still in the hall. He turned towards the group a tight smile on his face. His eyes were grey just like my father's eyes, just like my eyes. Only there was something hard about him. Something scary and dangerous that warned me not to get closer. Not to be left alone with a man like him.

"You should have told me we have guest," he spoke as he walked towards Olivia. He said for her to tell him but surely he saw them when they arrived. He stopped at Olivia kissing her cheek before placing his hand against her stomach.