WELL EXPLORED (10)

Night had fallen but Soren was still asleep. Zane assured me that he was okay, that it was common and happened every time he was used. That didn't stop me from worrying about him. What if that shadow I saw hurt Soren? What if this time wasn't like the others. Zane told me that tomorrow Soren would be back to his old self but my stomach still twisted in knots thinking about it.

There was nothing I could do for Soren so I was sent to be after sitting around watching over him until close to midnight. Going downstairs I paused when my bedroom door was cracked and the lights were on inside. I looked around the hall but everyone else door was closed, there was no glow coming from under them. Everyone already tucked away in bed but me.

Slowly I walked to my door pushing it open further. My fingers stayed on the knob so if I saw anything less than alive I was slamming the door close and sleeping in the lobby. Instead of finding a ghost Emrys was stretched across my bed the notebook I had been writing in was open in front of him as he read.

"That's called an invasion of privacy," I spoke up shutting my door behind myself. Emrys laughed closing the book and sitting up. I walked the rest of the way across my room sitting down on my bed next to him.

"It's really good," Emrys said as we both pressed our backs against the headboard. "What's going to happen at the end?" I shrugged my shoulders. It's been awhile since I worked in my notebook. Not since Ghost Lives had come. Taking the notebook I placed it back on my nightstand where Emrys had gotten it from.

Emrys leaned towards me and I turned my head just as his lips brushed against my jaw. "What is it?" Emrys asked reached grabbing my chin turning my head to face him. His gray eyes searched my face before his brows pulled down. "Tell me what's wrong, Gunner."

"How do you know Soren?" I asked and Emrys sighed releasing me. I watched as he slide off my bed pacing the floor. His fingers clenched and unclenched but I didn't speak. I didn't understand what the problem was.

"Why are you so stuck on him?" Emrys asked and I just glared at him. "Soren, Soren, Soren, is he all you think about these days." That wasn't true either. Soren wasn't all that I thought about. There was a lot that was going on. In the middle of all that he and Soren seemed to have some kind of history with each other. Was it wrong that I wanted to know what that was?

"Why are you so defensive anytime I bring him up?" I countered, what was it about Soren that made Emrys keep things from me. "You've been home for one day and I feel like I don't even know you anymore. You're supposed to be my best friend."

"I am your best friend, Gunner. Why do you think I keep telling you to stay away from that guy. Soren is bad news." That was what Emrys kept saying but he didn't give any reason why I should believe that. He just tried to flip things anytime I asked.

"Give me a real answer or get out of my room, Emrys." Why did everyone have to keep all of these secrets? Emrys and his connection to Soren. Dad and having a twin. Soren . . . who knows what secrets he held. I was so sick of being in the dark about everything.

"Gunner," Emrys came towards me but I rolled off my bed standing on the bed. "I don't want you to think less of me," Emrys voice was soft his eyes downcast. I frowned at him wondering what he could do that would make me think less of him.

"You know me better than that. I would never think any less of you Emrys you're my best friend." Maybe that didn't mean anything to Emrys these days but it still meant a lot to me. Emrys sighed again sitting back down on the bed. He patted the space beside him so I moved and sat next to my friend.

"I'm . . . I'm not in college, Gunner." I frowned looking at Emrys. What did he mean he wasn't in college. I had gone with him and Jude when he moved into his dorm. "I dropped out a bit after you had your surgery." My brows pulled down further.