Chapter Three: Bro Brunch

Start from the beginning

"Tell me about how that woman's day is going." Clark leaned back in his seat, "you're a detective so detect things."

Bruce scoffed and looked at the woman that sat not too far away from them. She had blonde hair and light green eyes with a small beauty mark just below her right eye. Bruce stared at her for a minute but was drawing blanks. He looked over at Clark who raised an eyebrow at him. He rolled his eyes and looked away from the fairly attractive woman.

"That proves nothing." Bruce unbuttoned his suit jacket and glared at Clark.

"I don't think you should go on patrol tonight." Clark gave Bruce a sympathetic smile.

"That's not your call to make," Bruce grunted and Clark sighed.

The waiter returned with their food and both men mumbled a thank you as he walked away. Bruce dug into his food trying his very best to ignore Clark's questioning stare. Clark sighed and took a bite out of his food before an idea popped into his head. I broad smile crossed his face and he swallowed his bite before speaking up.

"Okay! You don't have to stop patrolling but maybe you can come out to Kansas with me for half a week." Clark spoke with excitement that Bruce resented, "ma and pa would love having a guest and you can take as many naps down there as you want and no one will be there to bother you."

"Except you." Bruce muttered quietly.

Clark ignored his rude statement and went on, "plus we have all fresh foods and we can go horseback riding it'll be fun!"

"No."

"What? Why?" Clark gaped at Bruce.

"I'm not leaving Gotham or my boys." Bruce bit into one of his strawberries glaring at Clark.

"Bring them." Clark was desperate and Bruce could tell.

"They have school." He looked down again.

"They'll be safe with Alfred no doubt." Clark tried again and Bruce sighed loudly.

"No is no." He grumbled, "accept that."

"I can't!" Clark groaned, "not while you're doing this to yourself, Bruce."

The silence stretched across the both of them and Clark felt his neck heat up with frustration. Bruce continued to ignore him until Clark had had enough and stood up making his chair scrap against the wooden floor. Bruce looked up and suddenly felt himself panicking, he knew he'd lose an important chunk of their friendship if he continued to be stubborn, but he couldn't just leave Gotham.

"Goodbye, Bruce." Clark huffed.

"W-wait." Bruce's voice cracked and Clark paused, "just sit down."

Clark complied and raised an eyebrow at the other man. Bruce sucked in a large breath and nodded.

"I'll go, but you have to get someone to look over Gotham and Metropolis while we're away." Bruce bargained, "and I get to bring work with me."

"No work." Clark frowned.

"I'm a CEO of a major company that brings in all my funds." Bruce deadpanned, "I'm bringing work with me."

"Fine." Clark leaned back and Bruce started eating again.

"Happy?" Bruce finished off his drink.

"Delighted!"

Bruce gave him the dirtiest look he could muster while also waving the waiter over for a second drink.

~*~

Bruce opened the front door to his mansion after a long day of work and the occasional crime fighting he only wanted to meet his bed. He shut the door and trudged towards the kitchen where he could hear the boys bickering over the sounds of Alfred cooking. He stepped in to see Richard trying to help Damian with his homework and Alfred chopping carrots on the cutting board.

"Master Bruce, you're home later than expected." Alfred didn't look up already knowing it was him.

"I had to stay and work on a couple of loose ends before tomorrow's meeting." Bruce sighed taking a seat on one of the chairs in the room, "how was everyone's day?"

"After I picked up Damian we hung out at the mall and he spent most of the time inside of a bookstore." Richard shrugged, "I was only in it for the hot twenty-something-year-olds in the store."

Damian rolled his eyes along with Alfred before speaking, "I found a book I would like to purchase soon."

"Speaking of.." Bruce already felt a new headache coming on, "you're grounded for two weeks."

"But-"

"This is the third time Dick has had to come and pick you up from school this year." Bruce shook his head, "next time it'll be a month, no Robin, no training, nothing."

"Father, you can't-"

"I just did." Bruce ended the argument right then and there, "finish your homework, eat dinner, and then bed straight after."

Damian huffed and grabbed his stuff stomping out of the kitchen. Richard only shrugged knowing well enough that wouldn't be the last time Damian would be called home. Alfred dumped the carrots in a pot and Bruce sighed rubbing the bridge of his nose.

"I'm skipping dinner tonight." Bruce stood up, "goodnight."

"Night, Bruce." Dick frowned but didn't argue.

"Are you sure, Master Bruce?" Alfred was hesitant to let him leave without eating.

"I'm positive, I had a large brunch earlier," Bruce started towards the door. "But thank you, Alfred."

Alfred nodded and Bruce made his way towards his bedroom without a look back. He entered and shut the door behind himself. He placed his phone on his nightstand and started peeling off his suit when his phone buzzed with a message. He slipped into bed with nothing but his boxers the soft silk made him even more exhausted. Bruce grabbed his phone and checked his messages.

Clark K:
Kara said she'd watch Gotham and Wally has metropolis handled!

Bruce slowly typed his eyes drooping every once in a while.

Bruce:
Doesn't mean I'm happy to go.

Clark k:
You'll love it, ma makes the best sun tea in Kansas!!

Bruce:
Sun tea?

Clark K:
Just..try to be excited?

Bruce:
Woohoo

Bruce fell asleep straight after sending the message no longer able to keep his eyes open. He honestly didn't know what to expect, but he knew he wouldn't like it. No matter how much Clark said he would.